tortoise star indian growth

tortoise@india

Location (City and/or State)
mumbai
I have a pair of Indian star tortoises from the past 2 years male and female.
I have observed that the female once smaller ha now outgrown the male in terms of size but the male is still that way and not growing.
also nowadays it is the rainy season here in Mumbai and the female is more active . few months before the male was active and female was sedentary.
is this a seasonal change and the male is more active only during mating seasons and late winters?????

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have a pair of Indian star tortoises from the past 2 years male and female.
I have observed that the female once smaller ha now outgrown the male in terms of size but the male is still that way and not growing.
also nowadays it is the rainy season here in Mumbai and the female is more active . few months before the male was active and female was sedentary.
is this a seasonal change and the male is more active only during mating seasons and late winters?????
Female Indian Star Tortoises do get a good bit larger than males as adults, so maybe that is what you are seeing. Large females can reach up to 25 cm. in length and large males are about 16-18 cm.

The change in activity could very well be due to the change in seasons, assuming the tortoises are both healthy. When I kept Indian Stars, both sexes became quite active during rain storms.