Tortoise staying awake and active all night?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
My Redfoot Murphy usually goes in his hide and sleeps all night till the lights come on in the morning. He has done this for the few years now I've had him. For the past 3 nights though he hasn't gone to sleep, at all. He is walking around his enclosure, banging into the walls, digging, and scratching his shell against things, literally ALL NIGHT! His enclosure is in my room and all I hear is scratching and clunking noises nonstop. He is driving me nuts! I don't know what is going on with him or why he's doing this. Anybody else ever experience this or have any ideas what's going on here?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My Redfoot Murphy usually goes in his hide and sleeps all night till the lights come on in the morning. He has done this for the few years now I've had him. For the past 3 nights though he hasn't gone to sleep, at all. He is walking around his enclosure, banging into the walls, digging, and scratching his shell against things, literally ALL NIGHT! His enclosure is in my room and all I hear is scratching and clunking noises nonstop. He is driving me nuts! I don't know what is going on with him or why he's doing this. Anybody else ever experience this or have any ideas what's going on here?
Wow. Well, something has changed and you need to find out what! Can we see some pics of his habitat in your room? Have you changed the temps? What age is he?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Wow. Well, something has changed and you need to find out what! Can we see some pics of his habitat in your room? Have you changed the temps? What age is he?
He's almost 4. Nothing has changed in his enclosure.IMG_20191103_101048317.jpg IMG_20191103_101106265.jpg IMG_20191103_101143447.jpg It's fairly modest because he destroys anything I put in there. The only thing that changed was he had to come inside full time for winter about a month ago. Normally in the summer he's outside during the day and comes inside to his enclosure at night. He's been inside a few weeks though and this just started 3 nights ago. His hide and under his light stays 84-86 and the other side stays 74-76. Temps have always been the same.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Too hot. Too cold. Too much light? Hhmmm. Does sound like something is bothering him!

Anything new? House heating now on? New scents like xmas candles? Hard to say, but examine what’s changed.

Good luck
House heat has come on recently maybe that's a factor? Other than that I'm at a loss, nothing I can think of has changed in the past few days.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think maybe his shell was itchy and bothering him possibly? Last night I put coconut oil on his shell and he went right to sleep and didn't make a sound. I think it was either that or he's protesting being inside.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Vlad was really upset with the weather change recently too.

I have to admit I pictured Murphy stomping around all night and couldn't help but laugh :D Hopefully you can figure out what annoyed him soon so you can get some sleep.
I think he knew what he was doing too because every time I yelled MURPHY he would stop for a minute or two before starting again.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think maybe his shell was itchy and bothering him possibly? Last night I put coconut oil on his shell and he went right to sleep and didn't make a sound. I think it was either that or he's protesting being inside.

Humidity level goes way down during these months.... makes sense, needs a back scratch!

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Does Murphy stay in your room all the time? Or, just at night/cold weather? I used to have a cream made for rubbing on/into their shell (can't find the name now) for Dry shell. Also, "mite off" spray if inside with the dry heat from heater. It works well to moisten shell and skin and kill any mite, bedbugs, etc. and can be sprayed on their enclosures. I've found with the central heating - it does dry their shells even if they have place to soak in water.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Does Murphy stay in your room all the time? Or, just at night/cold weather? I used to have a cream made for rubbing on/into their shell (can't find the name now) for Dry shell. Also, "mite off" spray if inside with the dry heat from heater. It works well to moisten shell and skin and kill any mite, bedbugs, etc. and can be sprayed on their enclosures. I've found with the central heating - it does dry their shells even if they have place to soak in water.
He does in the winter time. Admittedly, the humidity should be a little higher for him. Last winter I had 2 large open top fish tanks in the room he's in that kept the humidity in the room at least 60%. This winter they're not in that room anymore. I'm pretty sure his shell itching was the problem. Ever since I applied some coconut oil he's been sleeping all night. I'm looking into getting a grow tent to use as an enclosure for him so I can better control the humidity.

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
He does in the winter time. Admittedly, the humidity should be a little higher for him. Last winter I had 2 large open top fish tanks in the room he's in that kept the humidity in the room at least 60%. This winter they're not in that room anymore. I'm pretty sure his shell itching was the problem. Ever since I applied some coconut oil he's been sleeping all night. I'm looking into getting a grow tent to use as an enclosure for him so I c- an better control the humidity.
Yes on the Coconut oil should do the trick - if not, at least he smells good.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Everybody needs a massage once in awhile. Perhaps the full-time heat and light availability has made him think it is Spring and he is looking for a female to mate. Perhaps turning the lights off sooner will reprogram his hormones back to realizing it is still winter. Good Luck!