Tortoise stopped walking around despite hot weather

Ginnie Crossan

Hi

My tortoise who normally walks non stop when the sun shines has suddenly stopped moving around. It's been very hot in Yorkshire and this behaviur is most unusual. I had him to the vet who thought that it may be that he was dehydrated and gave him an injection. The vet also suggested bathing him three times a day which we have done. He is eating (likes to be hand fed) his favourite pears but seems to be panting and puffing a lot. It's now 3 days since we went to the vet. Thoughts anyone? He is dearly loved and I am at my wits end.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ginnie, and welcome to the forum!

What kind of tortoise is it? If it's a spur thighed tortoise, it shouldn't be eating fruit. When you put the tortoise outside, is there plenty of shade where he can get out of the sun? 80F isn't too hot for a tortoise...it might be hot/warm for you, but for a tortoise it is just fine.

Since you say he seems to be 'panting and puffing' have you taken a good look at his nose? Look under a magnifying glass in a very bright light and make sure his nose isn't plugged up.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi

My tortoise who normally walks non stop when the sun shines has suddenly stopped moving around. It's been very hot in Yorkshire and this behaviur is most unusual. I had him to the vet who thought that it may be that he was dehydrated and gave him an injection. The vet also suggested bathing him three times a day which we have done. He is eating (likes to be hand fed) his favourite pears but seems to be panting and puffing a lot. It's now 3 days since we went to the vet. Thoughts anyone? He is dearly loved and I am at my wits end.
Hi. I've a Greek tort and I'm having almost your same problem: my tort won't eat even though it's still relatively warm and when Itake my tort for a "walk" in the sun (as I live in a flat) it usually "runs around" meaning it enjoys it. The last time I took it out for the said "walk" it hardly moved.
Am still seeking help.