Tortoise substrate

Charlotteandherbert

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have a very young baby (new to tortoise keeping) I have been trying him on different foods.

I cannot believe how fussy he is, so far he( too young to tell if it’s a girl or a boy!) will only eat, lettuce, cucumber and carrot.

I sprinkle the vitamin powder and he has cuttle fish.

yesterday I tried him on kale, he loved it.

today, I came home from work and there is poop everywhere. Not runny, healthy poop. But he had obviously walked it around, it was all over his back legs.

I gave him a bath, but to top this off, all the coir substrate was stuck to him.

would it be ok to use fake grass as a substrate, like astroturf? So I can take out and wash when I give him a bath?

advice would be fab, also re the poop! ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No sorry. Some try to eat it and it's just not right.
Animals sometimes get dirty. Spot clean often and make sure the enclosure is a proper size so they can not walk over their poop if they want.
Btw what species is it?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hello!

I have a very young baby (new to tortoise keeping) I have been trying him on different foods.

I cannot believe how fussy he is, so far he( too young to tell if it’s a girl or a boy!) will only eat, lettuce, cucumber and carrot.

I sprinkle the vitamin powder and he has cuttle fish.

yesterday I tried him on kale, he loved it.

today, I came home from work and there is poop everywhere. Not runny, healthy poop. But he had obviously walked it around, it was all over his back legs.

I gave him a bath, but to top this off, all the coir substrate was stuck to him.

would it be ok to use fake grass as a substrate, like astroturf? So I can take out and wash when I give him a bath?

advice would be fab, also re the poop! ?
Please consider orchid bark there is fine and course ideally you need fine for your hatching. They like to burrow so make a deep pile in a corner and orchid plants and hides. Tortoise wee and poo and tread in it ....that is what they do along with sleeping. You can spot clean and water mist it for humidity and it lasts months .
They have a cyber day today so worth a look.