Tortoise substrate

LJL1982

Location (City and/or State)
UK
@D-a-n_L I'm nearly 99% sure Rex is a mid turtle, I'd guess from his shape or colour either a yellow or Eastern mud turtle. Yellow are endemic to the US so maybe more likely.

I hope others will come on line to confirm, but if you can give him a long soak it's a start.

Maybe you too can have a Google and have a look at possible care options.
@D-a-n_L Looks like mud turtles need an enclosure 50/50 land and water, so he may be OK for a while but I would limit his ambient temperature to 22c to 27c or 78f-82f. If he is a Russian that temperature range won't harm him, but I don't know enough about turtles to know if you will roast him if he is a turtle otherwise if you have hot basking for a Russian. No hot basking till you work it out won't harm either breed for 24hrs so maybe do without.

LJL1982

UK
OP I am very slightly concerned that your tortoise is a turtle that should be in water and if so you need to rectify his conditions ASAP, can you get him soaking in warm water as it shouldnt harm him either way?
@mark1 can you confirm as Yellow Mud Turtle and advise care?

LJL1982

UK
how long have you had him? If he’s a turtle please change conditions immediately for his sake…
I think OP said he had him 18 years. I think some turtles are more terrestrial than others including box turtles, but good to get new home set up to right spec.

zovick

10 Year Member!
@Tom @wellington @zovick can anyone identify the breed and provide further advice now OP has posted pics of tortoise?
@D-a-n_L You definitely have a Box Turtle as a couple others have mentioned. Its needs are not the same as those of a tortoise, so forget reading the care info about tortoises. Try to find some info on Box Turtle care instead. Box Turtles actually like water and in the spring, many are often found swimming in shallow vernal pools. Your Box Turtle would probably enjoy having a water dish in its enclosure in which it could soak daily if it so desired.

It looks as though it might be a Three-toed Box Turtle, which are fairly common in the south central US. If it has only three toes on each back foot, that is the giveaway for the species (Terrapene carolina triunguis).

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
@D-a-n_L I agree with LJL1982 - as Rex looks like a turtle, there will be work needed to make a more appropriate enclosure for Rex. For the time being, I would follow the suggestions made by LJL1982 as soon as you can. There will be other threads you can search for to help with nail and beak trimming
He sits in water multiple times a day you can see the glass pool of water. What do you mean by soaking.

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
Ok switching mindset to care for a Three Toed Box Turtle. I will take him to the Vet. I got the Coconut substrate for him but it is so messy. The water dish, and food are covered in it. It doesn't seem that this would healthy for him to digest. Recommendations for a better substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok switching mindset to care for a Three Toed Box Turtle. I will take him to the Vet. I got the Coconut substrate for him but it is so messy. The water dish, and food are covered in it. It doesn't seem that this would healthy for him to digest. Recommendations for a better substrate?
If you are going to use coir, it has to be kept damp and you need to hand pack it firmly.

I prefer orchid bark.

Box turtles are more of an omnivore. Do you ever give this guy any meat?

This enclosure is way too small.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Box turtles have much more personality than tortoises. I keep a few just because they are so much fun. But now you need to switch your mindset to semiaquatic. And as you have discovered they are pretty hardy. Darned hard to kill. I use fine grade orchid bark, and it is very hard to find here. Generally speaking you can get it at the big box stores. During the winter I keep all my turtles in tort tables in a couple of rooms.100_2857.JPG
When weather permits they are outside in the turtle pond...100_0116.JPG
Your box turtle would really like a small pond. Do you have a yard? Please don't tell me he was in that dry tort whatever...This is the prettiest box turtle ever...Ginger100_3492.JPG

I'm giving you a link to the care sheet for box turtles...Read it then ask your questions. We want to help your box turtle...https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

here's some box turtles having a discussion about slugs and snails100_3910.JPGThe care sheet says it's for Eastern Box turtles, but yours fits any description...by soaking I mean fill or make a small pond or pan for the turtle to drink from and put his whole body in. They freakin love berries100_2726.JPG...
ok now, get started...

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
If you are going to use coir, it has to be kept damp and you need to hand pack it firmly.

I prefer orchid bark.

Box turtles are more of an omnivore. Do you ever give this guy any meat?

This enclosure is way too small
Box turtles have much more personality than tortoises. I keep a few just because they are so much fun. But now you need to switch your mindset to semiaquatic. And as you have discovered they are pretty hardy. Darned hard to kill. I use fine grade orchid bark, and it is very hard to find here. Generally speaking you can get it at the big box stores. During the winter I keep all my turtles in tort tables in a couple of rooms.View attachment 351366
When weather permits they are outside in the turtle pond...View attachment 351367
Your box turtle would really like a small pond. Do you have a yard? Please don't tell me he was in that dry tort whatever...This is the prettiest box turtle ever...GingerView attachment 351368

I'm giving you a link to the care sheet for box turtles...Read it then ask your questions. We want to help your box turtle...https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

here's some box turtles having a discussion about slugs and snailsView attachment 351369The care sheet says it's for Eastern Box turtles, but yours fits any description...by soaking I mean fill or make a small pond or pan for the turtle to drink from and put his whole body in. They freakin love berriesView attachment 351370...
ok now, get started...

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
OMG I love the pictures. For orchid bark does this one look ok? These are the choices on Amazon if you search for Orchid bark. I‘m thinking I like the first one “rePotme Phalaenopsis Dark Classic Orchid Mix (Mini Bag).” What do you think?

8DFC9275-D2FB-41AE-93EC-2254AC46541A.jpeg

LJL1982

UK
OMG I love the pictures. For orchid bark does this one look ok? These are the choices on Amazon if you search for Orchid bark. I‘m thinking I like the first one “rePotme Phalaenopsis Dark Classic Orchid Mix (Mini Bag).” What do you think?

View attachment 351371
Hi @D-a-n_L You need to find orchid bark, not an orchid bark "mix" or "potting" type which is likely to have fertilisers which can leach into turtle skin and water or vermiculite particles which are poisonous if ingested. The first one you suggested looks like it has vermiculite in it or similar as I can see white "gravelly" bits in it.

I use Komodo Forest Terrain which comes in fine or regular and varying sizes.

Your local garden centre or reptile centre may do their own mix. But you are looking for orchid bark alone, avoiding other pine mulches and additives which are also toxic to turtles.

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA

View attachment 351371
How about this stuff. I have him in the coconut fine husk which is real fine bit I dont like it because it gets all over him and doesn’t look like it would be very good for him to ingest even after watering it down. The large husk pieces seem like a good fit.

ReptiChip Coconut Substrate for Reptiles Loose Coarse Coconut Husk Chip Reptile Bedding​

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How about this stuff. I have him in the coconut fine husk which is real fine bit I dont like it because it gets all over him and doesn’t look like it would be very good for him to ingest even after watering it down. The large husk pieces seem like a good fit.

ReptiChip Coconut Substrate for Reptiles Loose Coarse Coconut Husk Chip Reptile Bedding​

The chips are not good because they are hard to walk on and also more of an impaction risk.

Did you hand pack the coir? Its a lot less messy if you do. Still orchid bark is best for a turtle of this size.

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
The chips are not good because they are hard to walk on and also more of an impaction risk.

Did you hand pack the coir? Its a lot less messy if you do. Still orchid bark is best for a turtle of this size.
I can’t find orchid bark that doesn’t have some kind of chemicals. I’ll have to keep looking. The pictures of the orchid bark look very similar in size and look to the coconut husk bark. Isn’t it basically the same as the coir but larger pieces. Sorry I want to do right by him but can’t seem to find the right stuff.

Last edited:

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
I can’t find orchid bark that doesn’t have some kind of chemicals. I’ll have to keep looking. The pictures of the orchid bark look very similar in size and look to the coconut husk bark. Isn’t it basically the same as the coir but larger pieces. Sorry I want to do right by him but can’t seem to find the right stuff.
People give this high marks for their turtles?

774C1378-BF70-4CEF-A8C0-8855FBB9E615.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The orchid bark is not the same as the coco chips. Very different physical properties. I use the coco chips for some of my other reptiles, but never for tortoises.