Tortoise substrate

D-a-n_L

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
The photos @maggie3fan posted were of box turtles, the same as yours albeit older in some of the photos and with varying colours and the care sheet was for Eastern Mud turtles which is a different breed bit with similar care requirements.

How are you doing with Rexs enclosure? Can you post pics so we can see his new home? 🤎
I will. I got fine grade Orchard Bark (no added chemicals, not a mix just bark). The second enclosure is coming and after I get them connected I’ll post pics. I need to get a thermometer to make sure the temp/humidity is right. We have a vet appointment to get a checkup and get his claws trimmed.

LJL1982

UK
I will. I got fine grade Orchard Bark (no added chemicals, not a mix just bark). The second enclosure is coming and after I get them connected I’ll post pics. I need to get a thermometer to make sure the temp/humidity is right. We have a vet appointment to get a checkup and get his claws trimmed.
Super bet he will love that lot!

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
What are your suggestion for lighting. I’m thinking I will need two bulbs to cover the whole area. Do you like the one in all bulbs or separate ones for UV and one for heat?

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
The photos @maggie3fan posted were of box turtles, the same as yours albeit older in some of the photos and with varying colours and the care sheet was for Eastern Mud turtles which is a different breed bit with similar care requirements.

How are you doing with Rexs enclosure? Can you post pics so we can see his new home? 🤎
Bought two of these enclosures and attached them side by side. He’s got a lot of room now. Orchid bark substrate. Lighting is almost there. Got a 100W Ceramic Heat light for night time. Thermometers to find the right lighting scheme. Vet appt next week.7AEC4700-F056-4BD6-AC3F-8A5D8E3CDE74.jpeg60336E16-A08D-472C-82C9-B703741329C7.jpeg60336E16-A08D-472C-82C9-B703741329C7.jpeg7DF05560-FC63-47ED-A09B-022D79633837.jpegBEE5FDD3-1DD1-430E-978C-85A107AC6CE5.jpeg

Last edited:

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
Made one bone head mistake. When putting everything together I put the basking lamp on the wood cover and got a phone call and stepped away. Burned a hole in the cover. I guess I need supervision 😕

F8BD00FC-35C2-4B0B-B8E9-743DD193A434.jpeg

LJL1982

UK
Made one bone head mistake. When putting everything together I put the basking lamp on the wood cover and got a phone call and stepped away. Burned a hole in the cover. I guess I need supervision 😕

View attachment 351705
OK, well one to learn from. What a great effort on the enclosure though! It's looking really good...you can do the nice bit now, maybe get him some "decor" items...some plants, somethings he can hide under, maybe a large flat stone to rest on and climb over and wear his beak down on...you could always have a second water area, see what works for him!

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
Took Rex to the Vet today to get a beak and nail trim. The Vet definitely confirmed he is dehydrated and under weight. She gave me Oxford Carnivore Food to get some weight on him. I am also going to soak him 2-3 times a day 15-20 minutes to get him hydrated. She also suggested chicken to feed him. I never thought of that and OMG he scarfed it down. I’m excited about getting him back to health.

LJL1982

UK
Took Rex to the Vet today to get a beak and nail trim. The Vet definitely confirmed he is dehydrated and under weight. She gave me Oxford Carnivore Food to get some weight on him. I am also going to soak him 2-3 times a day 15-20 minutes to get him hydrated. She also suggested chicken to feed him. I never thought of that and OMG he scarfed it down. I’m excited about getting him back to health.
Well you are certainly moving I the right direction...you've made 😉 lots of changes already!

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
He's going to love the variety of foods you can introduce to him. Search 'Box Turtle Diet' on the forum for ideas if you need. He'll be feeling like a new turtle! Glad to hear he's had his manicure and facial ;)

LJL1982

UK
I think we need updated photos, I'm really keen to see your updates in general and hope you are finding the forum useful.

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
I think we need updated photos, I'm really keen to see your updates in general and hope you are finding the forum useful.
I’ll get a new picture posted. He’s not talking to anyone right now after his facial ;-)

I have a silly question. I am feeding him the Critical Care food and saw on the forum that other people have put it in their turtles soaking bowl. Is it true that Tutles absorb food/vitamins through soaking? Even saw articles about soaking in carrot juice.

LJL1982

UK
I’ll get a new picture posted. He’s not talking to anyone right now after his facial ;-)

I have a silly question. I am feeding him the Critical Care food and saw on the forum that other people have put it in their turtles soaking bowl. Is it true that Tutles absorb food/vitamins through soaking? Even saw articles about soaking in carrot juice.
He will absorb the vitamins through eating it and will then get 100% of the vitamins. If he was not eating as a last resort putting it in his bath would allow se to be absorbed.

Pureed carrot in water could offer some ability to absorb vitamin A (however eating it would be a more efficient way of absorbing it).

Carrot makes the water more appetising to tortoises to encourage drinking it, so for a dehydrated tortoise it might be a good idea, however it would need changing straight after but in warm daily baths might be a good idea.

You have to be careful the baby food is only carrot though.