tortoise substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexford11

5 Year Member
hi im new to this forum my name is alex i live in ohio and i have a red footed totoise, hermit crabs, and a corn snake anyways........................i just recently got the redfooted tortoise she is 3 years old and i am currently using coconutfiber and playsand mix as substate. but i found a product called alalfa meal bedding and was wondering if that was good for redfooted tortoises, because i heard alfalfa or timothy hay is good for them. thanks in advance

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Welcome Alex. & your tort too. Substrate is hard for some people to decide on. But anything under 10 inches gets Coco Coir. Then i figure out wich habitat would they benefit the most for breeding and shell quality. And over all strees level. As for my Red foot; they get 3 - 4 inches of brick style Coco Coir. They're very happy & healthy...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Alex:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I really doubt if your redfoot would be interested in any type of hay. The desert-type tortoises are the ones that would eat the hay.

For redfoot tortoises you want a substrate that you can moisten. If you keep the coco-coir/sand substrate, you need more coir than sand...something like a 70/30 ratio.

Please read all the articles about redfoot tortoises in the Tortoise Library

Status
Not open for further replies.