Tortoise suddenly go very afraid?

rosaceae

5 Year Member
I have had my tortoise for 7 years. Red ear slider. However, it/he suddenly seems to get scared a lot. One time my dad accidentally kicked it and it went running and hid in a corner and didn't move until I stroked him for quite a while. Just now it was running around the house and tried to get into my room. The door was closed. I heard it knock on the door for a few seconds rapidly, then suddenly running away. My mum said the tort ran away very scared and fast (like not the usual fast tortoise way but in a really scared way) and hid in a corner. It however did not hid all its limb into the shell - it never did - just a little inner. Didn't move and I snuggled it and stroke him for almost 10 minutes (his head and everything was out immediately when I stroked him) before putting him on the ground.

Any ideas why my tortoise would suddenly get afraid?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You do know, don't you, that a red ear slider is a water turtle? They need to be kept either in a pond or a very large aquarium full of water. They can't swallow their food unless they are under water.

I suggest you post a picture of your "tortoise" so that we can be sure what kind it is, then we will be better able to help you with your original question.

Last edited: