Tortoise Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have a lil Leopard tortoise coming mid-week next week. I already have a table built. But I need to purchase addtional lighting supplies and substrate. Any recommendations on where I can get supplies the cheapest and fastest? Time is an issue, and money doesn't grow on trees! Where has everyone been getting their supplies?!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Amazon, ebay, tortoisesupply.com, Wayfair.com, basically shopping around. Btw, have you read up on Toms threads for housing a leopard? They are below in my post, by my signature. Check them out. The sully ones also pertain.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Laura said:
you have a complete seperate table right?
Online is cheaper for lights, substrate,, Home Depot.

completely seperate table

wellington said:
Amazon, ebay, tortoisesupply.com, Wayfair.com, basically shopping around. Btw, have you read up on Toms threads for housing a leopard? They are below in my post, by my signature. Check them out. The sully ones also pertain.

I actually have read through the second link you sent; the other two are new to me. Thanks so much for the pointers!

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
if i'm in a pinch and need something fast, i always just go to my local pet store, but prices are usually higher. most other things i use amazon.com for and can get better prices. i also have some of tom's links in my signature. if it's a baby leopard, i'd try to enclose your table as much as possible to keep humidity in. but, all of that will come over time. i had to use a temporary setup for awhile when i got my baby leo, just because i didn't have his enclosure completely finished yet, but it finally gets done and about the time you think you have everything set, they outgrow it and you have to start on another, bigger enclosure. lol it's just like having a kid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy my light fixtures at places like Home Depot, Lowe's and Tractor Supply. If you buy them at the pet store you pay double the price.

I buy my substrate at Orchard Supply Hardware, but any plant nursery that sells orchid bark probably has it cheaper than at the pet store.

Most other supplies come to me free with rescued turtles and tortoises. I have so many aquariums, half logs, feeding dishes and waterers that a whole bedroom in the old house is filled with the stuff. Anyone who lives in the Central Valley of California is more than welcome to come over and "shop" for supplies back there. :p

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks for all the replies - ended up getting everything I need locally except the ceramic heat emitter. I got that $10 cheaper on amazon.com, including 2-day shipping. Anyhow, I just set up the table and it's ready to go! Can't wait for Wednesday to get here (that's when the "live" delivery occurs)!!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.