Tortoise Table in Progress

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
In preparation for the Hermanns Tortoise I will be getting as soon as the winter weather lets up after the new year, I have been working singlehandedly on building a tortoise enclosure. Truthfully, I could have waited several more months to begin construction, but having something to do between school and shoveling snow (seriously, we have four inches on the ground now and it's still coming) is a nice time killer. Being just a highschool student, I didn't have enough money to buy truly "finished" wood, but I think it turned out pretty well!

Tortoise Table 1.jpg

The dimensions are 2.5' x 6' x 12". It has a hinged wooden frame with a wire mesh screen and some very transparent plastic aswell, to aid in retaining some humidity.

Tortoise Table Open.jpg

Tortoise Table Mesh Close Up.jpg

Once I buy my lighting fixtures, I will cut out holes with an exacto-knife into the plastic so they can shine through it without any heat or UV loss.

This was the first time I've ever made anything even remotely as big as this, so hopefully you guys will think it's turned out okay.

I also treated the inside of the "box" with a very thin coat of Thomson's Water Seal. It will have more than enough time to air out between now and when I actually get my tortoise. Before I put in the substrate, I'm planning to tack a tarp to the bottom so there is no chance for any water damage.

Also, pay no attention to the cat in the second picture. Tobi was very curious about what all the recent hammering has been about.

Last edited by a moderator: