Tortoise that stays small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Colony Texas!
Im looking for one for my mama! She loves my turtles so she wants a tortoise, i considered a russian because they have a great nature and personality, and they are a great beginner tortoise. Also, they stay small. And thags what she wants. Thanks guys!
-Andrea:D

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Hi there!

If I am not mistaken, Egyptian tortoise is the smallest and slowly growing little creature. But it kinda hard to get.

Maybe Hermann's tortoise is a good replacement?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians are great beginner torts and they don't get tooo big, BUT they need kots of space as they mature.

In the wild, they roam for miles and in captivity they go stir-crazy in small enclosures. They will he fine in a small tortoise table for a couple of years, but for the next fifty plus years of their natural life span you will need to be looking at an outdoor enclosure that is a big as you can make it in the summer months.

A tort is a pet for life.... not just theirs.... yours and your children's too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where does mom live? Climate should be a factor in species selection too. Some species are easier to maintain in South FL than in Phoenix AZ, and vice versa.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
We live in Texas! She is aware of thr requirements because i have owned tortoises, especially more hard to care for. She's also a turtle and tortoise fanatic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wet Texas or dry Texas. If you live in Corpus Christi, I'd say get a redfoot. Amarillo, get a russian. Austin or Dallas, get a hermanni.

You can make any tortoise work anywhere in the world. I just think its easier to match the climate to what the adult tortoise will thrive in. Makes a lot less work and expense later on.

Hence, I don't keep RFs or Manouria here in the hot, dry southwest.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
Tom said:
Wet Texas or dry Texas. If you live in Corpus Christi, I'd say get a redfoot. Amarillo, get a russian. Austin or Dallas, get a hermanni.

You can make any tortoise work anywhere in the world. I just think its easier to match the climate to what the adult tortoise will thrive in. Makes a lot less work and expense later on.

Hence, I don't keep RFs or Manouria here in the hot, dry southwest.
We live in Dallas. So hermanni maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.