Tortoise thinks my hand is food...

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Will my Hermann's tortoise ever stop thinking that my fingers are food? Because hes always chasing my hands trying to eat them and it makes it so, him is much harder.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Let me look into my crystal ball...

Yes. He will stop. No... wait... No. He won't stop. Ugh. The sprits are restless tonight. I'm getting both answers. He will stop sometimes and not stop other times.

I suggest no hand feeding and keep your hands out from in front of him. I know its hard to dodge a rampaging charging tortoise, but it CAN be done. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
Let me look into my crystal ball...

Yes. He will stop. No... wait... No. He won't stop. Ugh. The sprits are restless tonight. I'm getting both answers. He will stop sometimes and not stop other times.

I suggest no hand feeding and keep your hands out from in front of him. I know its hard to dodge a rampaging charging tortoise, but it CAN be done. :)

Okay, you win the cute award of the day. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is quite normal. My tortoises live outside, so when I feed them, I put the food down on something on the ground in front of me. The tortoises will walk right through the food to come over to me. Some will even try to bite my legs.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
That's exactly what my tortoise does. I'll put her food down in her dish and it, at first, looks like she is really excited for food and then, she'll stomp right over it and chase my hands. Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm always pleasantly surprised when my tortoises actually stop at the food tray after I put it down, instead of bulldozing right through it on their way to me. I laugh a little each time. They seem to be looking right up at me in a full run, and then they will notice this huge pile of delicious food right in front of them. Its as if they just suddenly notice it and go, "HEY!!! Look at all this yummy food. Where'd that come from? Well. I guess I'll go ahead and eat it then..." Chomp.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
my hermanns do this too, but i feed mazuri and they can see color, so even there is plenty food in the pen, finger yamoo. Mazuri time.
Annette:)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
We have three Hermanns, we kept them outdoor year round. When my wife serve food to them, they will go after the red slippers my wife ware for back yard only. Seems like they are attracted to the red color.

My wife also hand feed some of other tortoise that we kept indoor, she is intentionally let them bite her finger for fun. Of cause, all small tortoises. She cried once and said it hurt, I said you looking for it................

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Thank you, everyone, for all your responses. I'm glad to know that, at least, my tortoise is acting normal. Lol