Tortoise Toilet Habits

tsemiller

Since we got our wee horsefield about 6 months ago he has got into the routine of doing the toilet in his bath after he has been soaked. He dies a poo every day and is still doing this. Until about a week ago he used to have white stuff in his pee every couple days, which I was told by the vet was normal. I haven't noticed any of the white stuff for over a week now - should I be concerned? Assuming he is still peeing but difficult to tell as only ever does it in water and with no trace of the white urates, can't really tell. What do you all think?

tsemiller

Watched really closely when he had his bath tonight and he is still peeing - just no urates. Assuming nothing to worry about? Should I be increasing his calcium supplements ?

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Tortoise keepers typically want to see fewer urates, not more, because a lot of urates suggests that the tortoise is producing a lot of waste product and, if the urate is thick or overly gritty, is not appropriately hydrated. Less urates is a better sign than many urates, I'd think.

Have you seen this thread? It talks about them : http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-tortoise-pooped-out-some-white-stuff.14782/