Tortoise trying to bite/eat rocks, slates?

peanut20

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi guys,

I posted this video of my tortoise before:
back in May.

He's still trying to bite on to the side of his food plate (slate) or rocks in his enclosure. These rocks are twice the size of his body but he keeps trying to take a bite of it. I catch him doing this 2-3 times a week.

I'm wondering what is causing this. We have increased his vitamin to twice a week (from once) in the past month. He eats Broadleaf Testudo Mix, clover mix (both from TortoiseSupply) and romaines daily; mazuri and other veggies (bokchoy, cucumber, other lettuce) twice a week.

Can he hurt himself doing this? Any thoughts?

1289Gabe

San Diego California
Hi guys,

back in May.

He's still trying to bite on to the side of his food plate (slate) or rocks in his enclosure. These rocks are twice the size of his body but he keeps trying to take a bite of it. I catch him doing this 2-3 times a week.

I'm wondering what is causing this. We have increased his vitamin to twice a week (from once) in the past month. He eats Broadleaf Testudo Mix, clover mix (both from TortoiseSupply) and romaines daily; mazuri and other veggies (bokchoy, cucumber, other lettuce) twice a week.

Hi, I have the same issue with my leopard, and apparently it’s because of mineral deficiency. You could give it some mineral supplement I think that would help

peanut20

Pennsylvania
Thanks @Golden Greek Tortoise 567 @1289Gabe !!

He has a cuttlebone in his enclosure which he rarely touches. He also gets a mix of:
1. Zoomed's Repti Calcium - a pinch once a week with mazuri
2. Zoomed's Reptivite - a pinch once a week with mazuri.

Are there other sources of mineral? Also, how much calcium/vitamins do you give them per week?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yep...the Miner All that Blake linked to is what you want. It has all the trace minerals he needs.

This, along with your calcium and vitamin regimen, should have him covered.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys,

back in May.

In addition to adding the MinerAll, you need much more variety and fiber in the diet.

This issue is usually not about calcium. Its usually fiber and minerals.

Read this for care info and more info on diet: