Tortoise vomit and no signs of life

Metalfist

Location (City and/or State)
Stabroek
Hello tortoise community,

I'm in need of some advice but I'm afraid it's too late :( My grandfather had two land turtles (English is not my native language so I hope I don't make any mistakes in definition) for more than 50 years. He is very ill right now and couldn't take care of them anymore so I took them in. I don't have much information on how old they are (except that they were adult sized when he bought them and that the most recent one was bought +50 years ago) and according to my searches on the internet they seem to be Hermann's or Greek land turtles as we call them.

I have had them for more than two months now but this morning I noticed that one of them had some vomit on her mouth and that she wasn't moving. I cleaned her up but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get any response. I have tried moving the leg to see if there was any reaction but nothing.. Could it be that she went into some kind of hibernation or has she really crossed the rainbow bridge? I tried contacting several veterinarian but none of them have any knowledge of reptiles since I live in a remote town which focuses on cows and horses and most of them are closed.

If she is really dead, I would like to bury here in her favorite spot in the garden but I'm terrified that she isn't dead and that I kill her that way.. I'm not sure how long she has been in that state because I do check on them often but it has happened before (especially in hot weather) that she was just chilling and not moving very much. It was this morning when I gave them food that I saw the vomit. Also, the other one seems to be terrified (but is still eating) and pushes himself with his face in the corner. They have been together for 50 years and I feel so sad for him now

I'm sorry if this is not in the right place or something like that but it has been a rough morning and I honestly don't know what else to do..

Thank you!

In attachment Bonnie & Clyde in better days when I first got them :)DSC_1223.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to hear this. It does sound like she had passed.
However, give her a warm water soak, be sure her head is out of the water and give it at least one full day and night. Keep her in an enclosure by herself.
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. I understand they have been together for a very long time. However that is very stressful for tortoises to be in pairs and one Male with one females is even more stressful. That along with being moved after all that time may have put her over the edge.
If she has passed, do not get another tortoise to be a friend for the one left. They don't want friends. In the wild they live alone and cross paths with others to breed or fight and then they move on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry to hear this. I agree with Wellington's assessment. Wait a day and if there's still no movement and the eyes seem sunken in, it would be safe to bury the tortoise.

These tortoises lived a very long time with your grandfather. It's stressful on a tortoise to be taken from one 'territory' and placed in another, and especially stressful for your grandfather's animals because of the length of time they lived with him.

Please accept our sincere condolences on the loss of this animal.

Metalfist

Stabroek
Thanks you both for your reply! I'll try giving her a bath and place her separate from the other one but I'm quite sure that it isn't going to help but at least then I'm sure.

Do you mean to keep her in the water for a day and night or just soak her for 10 minutes and then place her separate?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks you both for your reply! I'll try giving her a bath and place her separate from the other one but I'm quite sure that it isn't going to help but at least then I'm sure.

Do you mean to keep her in the water for a day and night or just soak her for 10 minutes and then place her separate?
I'm so sorry about your tortoise. Yes, I think the water has to be gently warm - not hot- and only partway up her shell. Of course you will have to keep checking the temperature, tipping some out and putting more in,as it cools down. I'm not sure what you can do about overnight - perhaps you have a small heater you can leave on at low temperature setting near her.
After that, see if her eyes are sunken, and her legs are stiff - if so, there is probably nothing more you can do.
From the photo, Bonnie and Clyde have obviously been cared for well, and have had good happy lives
All best wishes from Angie

Metalfist

Stabroek
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm now sure that it's a lost cause since a) she started smelling and b) the clean water is filled with little maggots.

I was looking forward to have her longer with me but I hope that I have given her a few nice months at the end of her life.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awww so very sorry. It sounded like a long shot but I was rooting for her to be okay.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you say "vomit" what exactly do you mean: foaming at the mouth? . . . actual food coming back up from the stomach?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm now sure that it's a lost cause since a) she started smelling and b) the clean water is filled with little maggots.

I was looking forward to have her longer with me but I hope that I have given her a few nice months at the end of her life.
So sorry about Bonnie - you did your best, and as you say, have given her a happy time while you could.
I hope Clyde will be able to settle, even without her.
Best wishes from Angie

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

I‘m so very sorry for your loss. I can imagine that the fact they lived for so long feels like a even deeper loss to your family. Please know that I am keeping you and your family close to my heart.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
Hello tortoise community,

I'm in need of some advice but I'm afraid it's too late :( My grandfather had two land turtles (English is not my native language so I hope I don't make any mistakes in definition) for more than 50 years. He is very ill right now and couldn't take care of them anymore so I took them in. I don't have much information on how old they are (except that they were adult sized when he bought them and that the most recent one was bought +50 years ago) and according to my searches on the internet they seem to be Hermann's or Greek land turtles as we call them.

I have had them for more than two months now but this morning I noticed that one of them had some vomit on her mouth and that she wasn't moving. I cleaned her up but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get any response. I have tried moving the leg to see if there was any reaction but nothing.. Could it be that she went into some kind of hibernation or has she really crossed the rainbow bridge? I tried contacting several veterinarian but none of them have any knowledge of reptiles since I live in a remote town which focuses on cows and horses and most of them are closed.

If she is really dead, I would like to bury here in her favorite spot in the garden but I'm terrified that she isn't dead and that I kill her that way.. I'm not sure how long she has been in that state because I do check on them often but it has happened before (especially in hot weather) that she was just chilling and not moving very much. It was this morning when I gave them food that I saw the vomit. Also, the other one seems to be terrified (but is still eating) and pushes himself with his face in the corner. They have been together for 50 years and I feel so sad for him now

I'm sorry if this is not in the right place or something like that but it has been a rough morning and I honestly don't know what else to do..

Thank you!

In attachment Bonnie & Clyde in better days when I first got them :)View attachment 332232
So sorry for your loss!

Mattesj

Spain

Not to be morbid, but is she is dead she will start to smell soon.