Tortoise was mid hibernation but now seems dead

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
I am so sorry! I have only had my Russian, Morla, for 3 months now and I love her more than I ever thought possible! My heart breaks for you sincerely.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. That’s completely devastating and heartbreaking. As others have said, it sounds like you did everything right, so don’t blame yourself. Take care and don’t be too hard on yourself.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Extremely sorry to hear about your loss.

Please accept my sincere condolences.

Tortalini

Columbus, Ohio
Really sorry about your loss. I can't imagine how that could of happened. If you ever do consider getting another tortoise, I would suggest a tropical species that doesn't hibernate so something like this won't happen again.

tortoisekev

UK
This is incredibly sad, I feel so sorry for you.
This is exactly the reason I'm too scared to hibernate Kevin (a family friend nearly lost their Tort a few years back when he woke up to early). Kevin's only 4 1/2 years old, but I still won't hibernate him as the risk is too high for the effort and benefits. I keep him in his indoor enclosure, have the light on daily, force him out every other day (he still likes to bury himself and self-hibernate!), give him a bath and feed him... he's now back to coming out on his own for a good few hours a day, which I'm very pleased by!

I hope you get an answer, please share if you do. And don't be put off getting another... just maybe give yourself a bit of time first :(

AzDesert

metro Phx, AZ
I am very sorry to hear about your tort. I lost a lil redfoot not long ago. It is indeed devastating and no words can ease the hurt in your heart. I bought a small tortoise "statue" (only about 2" big) in its memory. Since then I have felt confident enough to try a different species. So far so good. Wishing you the best in a hard time.

jso

55*N, UK
So sorry to hear of your sad loss. My little Hermanns is 16mths old and I have had her for about 2 months. Even after that short time I would be lost without her.
Refrigerator hibernation/brumation is quite common. Respiration is very slow when a tortoise is brumating, and the air in the fridge is enough to keep him alive through the winter.
And it’s common practice to open the door quite often so there’s a change of air, and possibly to check temps or the torts themselves...