Tortoise was on her back!!

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Another question - what humidity level are you supposed to keep your enclosure at? And how are you achieving that with the openness of the top?

Fueledbylatte

Quedgeley, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Ashes said:
What if you put the plants on the inside, not outside? That would make it much harder for him to climb the glass and turn himself over.
I will try that in the morning :) just so worried cause he's gonna be alone :( he climbed up the inside plants when we put them in and flipped himself on those

Flipper

MO, USA
He's just gorgeous! I hope you find a solution to the flipping :confused:

You can buy cheap construction paper too and tape it to the outside 6-8 inches for a visual barrier :tort:

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
You can find a digital hygrometer/thermometer at hardware stores or Walmart. I have a redfoot and have to keep humidity above 80% so it's important to know where mine sits. On mine, the top number shows the cooler side of his enclosure, the bottom left is the warmer side temp (which both are actually on the cool side.... Hmmmm - will have to look into that), and the bottom right is the humidity percentage. I usually keep that at about 86%.... Time to add some water to the cage! :) anyway, to keep the humidity up, I have foil on the top to keep it from escaping. I'd find the care sheet on here for your tort species because I'm honestly not sure what yours should be at.... I'd look but I'm horrible at telling what species are what... You might not need humidity at all! :) and the construction paper on the outside is a good idea too. :)

Fueledbylatte

For some reason it won't let me reply to your last comment Ashes but I've just checked what humidity to use and one site says 30 percent and the rest say low to moderate, and then one says sand because they need a dry substrate and the rest say soil that you should keep wet...see why I asked for help on here?? XD

Fueledbylatte

You can find a digital hygrometer/thermometer at hardware stores or Walmart. I have a redfoot and have to keep humidity above 80% so it's important to know where mine sits. On mine, the top number shows the cooler side of his enclosure, the bottom left is the warmer side temp (which both are actually on the cool side.... Hmmmm - will have to look into that), and the bottom right is the humidity percentage. I usually keep that at about 86%.... Time to add some water to the cage! :) anyway, to keep the humidity up, I have foil on the top to keep it from escaping. I'd find the care sheet on here for your tort species because I'm honestly not sure what yours should be at.... I'd look but I'm horrible at telling what species are what... You might not need humidity at all! :) and the construction paper on the outside is a good idea too. :)
I've just checked what humidity to use and one site says 30 percent and the rest say low to moderate, and then one says sand because they need a dry substrate and the rest say soil that you should keep wet...see why I asked for help on here?? XD

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Yeah I get that. Sand is just bad if ingested so it's better to stay away just in case. Plus, the soil and orchid bark could hold some humidity since you need a little - you're lucky - it's a struggle sometimes to keep the humidity up super high for my redfoot. lol. I think I've got it down though. :) and hopefully he will stop climbing eventually. *fingers crossed*