Tortoise weight

Bryces40

Hi I have two mediterain spur thighed tortoises which are 12 months old, I was just wondering if anyone knows the weight they should be at that age. Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
No exact number...each tortoise is its ownself.....there are a few ways to get a general guideline for your piece of mind....I apologize, but I do not remember where that is on this forum...there is a guideline thing here...perhaps one of the others will recall what I am referring to...also, please do remember, every tort is an individual and while a species has a scale of "normal"...there is not absolute. If your tort is eating, basking, drinking and exercising as should be and the tort is a solid feeling weight (relative to its size) then all is likely aok.....

Bryces40

No exact number...each tortoise is its ownself.....there are a few ways to get a general guideline for your piece of mind....I apologize, but I do not remember where that is on this forum...there is a guideline thing here...perhaps one of the others will recall what I am referring to...also, please do remember, every tort is an individual and while a species has a scale of "normal"...there is not absolute. If your tort is eating, basking, drinking and exercising as should be and the tort is a solid feeling weight (relative to its size) then all is likely aok.....
Ok thanks for your responses I'm just a little worried as I have used the Jackson calculator and they seem to be under weight by half

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Jackson calculator

I believe that is the one I was referring to.....is the tort eating well, exercising, basking, hydrated and acting all around healthy? If yes, then I would not focus on the numbers too much. Perhaps you start that torts specific numbers...then you can tell what that tort is doing based on itself....you know what I mean?

Bryces40

I believe that is the one I was referring to.....is the tort eating well, exercising, basking, hydrated and acting all around healthy? If yes, then I would not focus on the numbers too much. Perhaps you start that torts specific numbers...then you can tell what that tort is doing based on itself....you know what I mean?
Yes they are fine they are active and feed well so I will just check they are putting on weight each week thank you