Tortoise with white unopened eyes

2newtortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Tunbridge wells
I picked up 2 horsefield tortoises today and was told one of them has trouble with its eyes. It’s also smaller than the other one and less energetic. Since we’ve been home he hasn’t opened his eyes and they look like they have a white film over them. He is walking about etc but I’m concerned about his lack of eye opening.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you see that eye problem it isn't that he DOESN'T open his eyes, it's that he CAN'T. You can help him get them open by soaking him.

Using a bowl with a small footprint, but tall sides (so he can't climb out), mix a 50/50 solution of warm water/Gerber strained carrots. The solution should come up to the middle of his sides. Leave him in there for 45 minutes to an hour, and longer is ok, but keep checking to make sure he's ok.

If you do this daily for three days, his eyes will open on the third day.

2newtortoises

Tunbridge wells
Hi when I said white eyes I mean when his eyes are closed they are white as in white eyelids? I’ve posted close up of his eye but they are both like this.

E571D6CB-37BE-4C61-A24E-D6A57C512FC3.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi when I said white eyes I mean when his eyes are closed they are white as in white eyelids? I’ve posted close up of his eye but they are both like this.
Perfectly normal for stuck shut eyes.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It’s normal for his eyes to look like that?? The other ones eyes are different and open

She said it is normal for eyes that are stuck shut to apear white like that. It is not normal for them to be stuck shut, although it is also not unprecedented by the sounds of it.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi!
What you are probably seeing is the 3rd eyelid that many animals, including torts, have to protect the surface of the eye. When open, it is "stored" in the front corner of the eye, but at will the tort can open or close it.

Humans once had 3rd eyelids as well, but we no longer do. That pink area in the corner of each eye next to your nose is a remnant of the lid that used to be there many years ago.