Fiveoo

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
I'm new to owning tortoises and I need a bit of help. My around 6-month-old Russian tortoise won't eat and spends its entire day digging in the corner. Is this normal or should I be concerned?? I have a feeling this has something to do with my enclosure being small, I'm working on trying to get a bigger one. Please help me out!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I'm new to owning tortoises and I need a bit of help. My around 6-month-old Russian tortoise won't eat and spends its entire day digging in the corner. Is this normal or should I be concerned?? I have a feeling this has something to do with my enclosure being small, I'm working on trying to get a bigger one. Please help me out!
Welcome - how long have you had him for ? It is quite normal for a tortoise in a new situation to take a while to settle down . Russian tortoises are very good climbers and escapers, so make sure there's nothing that could help him !
Angie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
For starters, give us an idea of the size & composition of your current enclosure. Most folks will recommend a minimum of 6x8 feet.

Fiveoo

Ireland
Welcome - how long have you had him for ? It is quite normal for a tortoise in a new situation to take a while to settle down . Russian tortoises are very good climbers and escapers, so make sure there's nothing that could help him !
Angie
You're probably right since I've only had him for 3 days. I'm just stressed that I'm going to mess up even though I've done a fair bit of research. How long should I wait until It's a proper concern? Thanks for the reassurance and the tip!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For starters, give us an idea of the size & composition of your current enclosure. Most folks will recommend a minimum of 6x8 feet.
Recommended minimum is 4x8. We can barely get them to do that. 6x8 they would never do lol.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you know the enckosure is likely too small then yes, that is likely part of the problem. If you just got him, that's the other part of the problem. Now we need to see if temps is also part of it.
95-100 basking
75-80 over all temps
No heat at night as long as it doesnt get below 60.
Hatchling 80% humidity
Adult 30-50% humidity.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
You're probably right since I've only had him for 3 days. I'm just stressed that I'm going to mess up even though I've done a fair bit of research. How long should I wait until It's a proper concern? Thanks for the reassurance and the tip!!
I don't think you need worry for several more days - meanwhile, just let him feel safe - put food and water for him, but don't worry if he doesn't show much interest - messing him about is confusing for him.
It probably won't be long before he shows interest in you - the food god !
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They can go quite a while not eating. Be sure to give warm water soaks daily. He does need to stay hydrated.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi welcome, Russians are escape artists if you have glass and it can see out they scrape for hours to get out. I tape along length of glass using masking tape and go up as they grow to block vision!
Please read this care sheet and ask questions.
The temp mentioned in thread 6 is in F we are in C Celsius so convert and keep your own list. I recommend keeping a weight log and weight weekly on digital kitchen scales as nice to see growth and act if loss is seen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size enclosure?
What substrate?
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?
What type of UV bulb? Long tube or cfl?
Are you soaking the tortoise daily?

A picture of the enclosure would help us to give you better help.