'Tortoise-y' apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I have been thinking about my smart phone and tortoises. There are dang few apps out there that help me manage my herd, and I thought I would use this thread to discuss a few that ARE out there, and to share ideas for apps we might want.

Apps i think I would like to see would include...

1. Nutrition Database. There are several apps that show you the nutritional value of foods. Some store the info on the phone, others are site links. I downloaded several and will report on them- BUT- none of them will show things like Mazuri, bugs, mulberry leaves, etc.

2. Pet First Aid. There are a few of these out there, but naturally they are all based on the common pets. A symptom-based tortoise version should be a fairly easy project, but a better commercial version would probably include all reptiles or herps in general.

3. Weather. Lots of good apps for this. In fact, many will tell you the weather in selected locals- such as where your tortoise comes from. This sort of app can tell you how comfy your outside tort is, or what sorts of conditions you may want to emulate in the indoor housing.

4. Data Log. There are a couple apps out there (for pay as far as I can find) that will let you track a pet, reptile, etc.'s size, weight, etc. It would be great to see one that lets you input size/weight data and kicks back a BMI rating, daily calorie needs, etc.

5. Tortoise Species ID and basic info app. They have these for birds, flowers, etc. The idea would be to have a database of all tortoise species with photos and basic info (range, size, etc.) along with a simple tool to help figure out what species you are looking at in front of you. An advanced version would help you sex the tortoise.

6. Plant Identification. This would probably be a two-parter. First, use an already available database to ID a plant, then a database would tell you whether the plant is good, OK, neutral, unsafe, or dangerous to humans and tortoises and why.

7. TFO's app is already ready and pretty nice!

So--- do you know of anything Android or iPhone apps you would recommend like this, or anything you really want that maybe we can figure out how to get made?

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
I use a 'diary' app that I used to record daily comings and goings, but I guess thats similar to the information recording app :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What's an app? ....for that matter **says she as she hangs up her dial phone, untangling the cord from the base as she goes**what is an I phone? :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Yvonne- there is this thing called 'technology'. It is part of something called 'the 21st century'. It is all pretty cool! You should find a 16 year old kid to explain it all to you!

:) :) :)

FYI- all of the free nutrition databases I can find so far are not quite what I am looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.