TortoiseForum.org BOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortuga_terrestre

Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Feb 19, 2010
Messages
538
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was just logging off... When the bulb upstairs went on!

I read countless threads; some very informative and the majority display pictures of their beloved tortoises. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to gather up all this information and put into a book? The profits can go towards keeping this site online...the forum can donate money to conservation organizations...Enough talking about tortoises and other reptiles, Why not get involved? The book would have every species of tortoise (And Subspecies) with the person we designate to be the official author. Example:

Sulcata Tortoise (African Spurred Tortoise) - Tom

The Chapter would include:

Origin of Species

Raising in Captivity- Step by Step Enclosure setup

Breeding

PICTURES! People love pictures...I know I do... Most people are visual learners. The pictures from the calender contest were awesome!

This would intrigue a prospective tortoise keeper more...because he/she has something to go by...I found this forum by accident.

What do you guys thinK?
 

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
19,752
Location (City and/or State)
CA
10 years ago I would have said excellent idea go for it, but honestly with the internet and less and less people reading for whatever reasons, I just think it would lose money.
 

bikerchicspain

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
1,316
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Good idea but as DMMJ said books don't really sell at the moment.

What I do is give my customers the name of this forum if they are English, which aren't many,

Try telling someone that's been feeding a tort for the past 10 years with tomato, lettuce and apple that it's wrong and un healthy!!!!
 

Edna

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2010
Messages
1,536
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
I just spent $120 on tortoise books, so I think it may not be such a bad idea. Of course I'm not going to read them in a linear fashion, like I used to read books, because that doesn't even make sense to me anymore.
One problem, T_t, is that some of your potential contributors could write books of their own.
 

Orko

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
54
A new book is always a good news, if I am interested in a subject, i personally try to buy all the books available and try to educate myself, in the past weeks I bought close (if not more) to a dozen books on tortoises. Internet is the most valuable tool available, but still I will not trade it for a book in your hands.
With all that said, again, a new book is always a good news!
 

dmarcus

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
9,037
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I think it's a good idea, but as someone who doesn't read books I am unsure how well it would do. With just about everying you need to know found on the internet I believe most people will just find the information online rather than reading a book. Even the books they sells in pet stores, I will just read it at the store father than buying the book and then have it collect dust because the info I needed was only in 5% of the book.

Again I think it's a good idea, just don't see it working.
 

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
28,307
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Nice idea, never happen! Legal issues and too time consuming, not to mention it would be to broad. I think an open chat ability would be of a better value. Why don't you start a poll and get the overall opinion of a few members that are regulars here. You might be surprised. One factor, this site is free and always available, alot of folks are financially challenged these days. Most posts are opinions and experiences, not scientific facts.

Remember, it looked like Josh had a hard time selling all of the calenders, much less a book!

Anyway, there is a lot of good information and opinions ducumented here. Alot is just fun and entertaining. I think the latest trend is books on line, several large book companies are belly up.
 

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
39,497
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Who would decide who gets to write for a certain species? I think we would have a lot of hard feelings, just alone with folks not being chosen. We have so many very good tortoise care takers on here and each of them has something special they offer. I would hate to exclude any of them.
 

Madkins007

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
5,393
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I think a Wikipedia-like website would be a nice option for something like this. Have a panel of people set-up and run the board, and review/moderate any changes to help ensure that they are properly formated, well-written, documented, and reasonably accurate. The panel would also share any profits that came out of it- ad revenue, etc.

If I were doing it, there would be two layers- the free layer that anyone could access that covered some basics of care, temps, diet, etc., and a more advanced layer that covered reproduction, building plans, access to advanced care articles, access to a reference library, making your own devices and gear, ability to post ads for tortoises or tort-related stuff, etc.

But, then again, I can barely get my own site going, so who am I to talk?!
 

dabayliss

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2011
Messages
59
As an intermediate alternative you could consider publishing through one of the 'instant' publishers that also publish e-books. That way your upfront costs are minimal ....
I actually think an easy book that could be flogged alongside the tortoise could be very popular.... money is tight but at the 'point of purchase' most people (almost by definition) have at least some money available ....
I always have to wait in line to get out of PetsMart - and the only 'literature' they have on the red-foots they sell is a 80 page glossy book that -completely- mis-teaches how to care for redfoots ....
 

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
28,307
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Jacqui said:
Who would decide who gets to write for a certain species? I think we would have a lot of hard feelings, just alone with folks not being chosen. We have so many very good tortoise care takers on here and each of them has something special they offer. I would hate to exclude any of them.

From what I have seen here, it would probably be a popularity contest and another harsh debate thread ending with many warnings! LOL.....
 

coreyc

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Messages
3,920
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
ALDABRAMAN said:
Jacqui said:
Who would decide who gets to write for a certain species? I think we would have a lot of hard feelings, just alone with folks not being chosen. We have so many very good tortoise care takers on here and each of them has something special they offer. I would hate to exclude any of them.

From what I have seen here, it would probably be a popularity contest and another harsh debate thread ending with many warnings! LOL.....
No LOL I think you hit that out of the park I agree totally :cool:
 

Tortuga_terrestre

Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Feb 19, 2010
Messages
538
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thank you for your honesty. If it isnt a book...something should come out of all this information. There are sooo many threads, but there are few I personally read and put into pratice. Example: Alot of members are following the high humidity enviroment and are getting great results! If im not mistaken..Wasnt it Tom's thread? Ending pyramiding. It wouldnt be difficult to chose authors for each species. Im just saying by publishing a book or e-book, it would receive neither positive or negative comments from other tortoise keepers or professionals; who choose not be part of a forum. I believe it would expand our knowledge.... And it would get this forum more involved. Enough talking...

What about a newsletter? or monthly magazine?

I personally feel the forum becomes a little dull and repetitive at times.
 

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
4,405
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I agree with Greg 100% (on all counts). I have been planning a book geared towards children (large print...tons of pictures). I know Greg has something in mind that's going to be epic. Same with Tom! There are too many extreme personalities on this Forum for it to remain civil...and the whole idea would create utter chaos from the start. I think it best for anyone with a project in mind to accumulate their resources and the rest of us can wish them luck. That's about as politically correct as I can state it;)
 

Tortuga_terrestre

Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Feb 19, 2010
Messages
538
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wouldnt you guys want to be part of something? Wouldnt it be awesome to donate money, maybe even have our own REPTILE SHOW? 2012 TORTOISEFORUM.ORG Reptile Show? I know it sounds crazy, but it isnt impossible. For those who are ok with just sitting behind a desk and talking about their pet tortoise all day...well what can I say. But for those who are visionaries, please share your ideas.
 
M

Maggie Cummings

Guest
coreyc said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Jacqui said:
Who would decide who gets to write for a certain species? I think we would have a lot of hard feelings, just alone with folks not being chosen. We have so many very good tortoise care takers on here and each of them has something special they offer. I would hate to exclude any of them.

From what I have seen here, it would probably be a popularity contest and another harsh debate thread ending with many warnings! LOL.....
No LOL I think you hit that out of the park I agree totally :cool:

Josh had a hard time selling the calendars because some of our more experienced keepers didn't make the calendar but brand new people who only joined to submit pictures did make it and there were hard feelings happening and I can see the same thing happening with a book. Who would decide that Tom write a chapter about Sulcata when there are more experienced Sulcata keepers available who could write a chapter just as good or better than Tom? Sorry Tom, just using you as an example you know I love you
 

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
28,307
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Thank you for your honesty. If it isnt a book...something should come out of all this information. There are sooo many threads, but there are few I personally read and put into pratice. Example: Alot of members are following the high humidity enviroment and are getting great results! If im not mistaken..Wasnt it Tom's thread? Ending pyramiding. It wouldnt be difficult to chose authors for each species. Im just saying by publishing a book or e-book, it would receive neither positive or negative comments from other tortoise keepers or professionals; who choose not be part of a forum. I believe it would expand our knowledge.... And it would get this forum more involved. Enough talking...

What about a newsletter? or monthly magazine?

I personally feel the forum becomes a little dull and repetitive at times.

Dull and repetitive at times, yes! However, that is simply the nature or these forums. Some participate alot, others are very selective, and others hardly ever. Then we have active members and those that never register and enjoy everything without the risk of being banned or getting insulted, lol... I think this forum is good and could use some improvements. I am not sure that the board members want any changes and it is their game. So, we should just enjoy what is here and the environment that it is. We all have choices to participate and to what level if any.
 

TylerStewart

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
1,063
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Wouldnt you guys want to be part of something? Wouldnt it be awesome to donate money, maybe even have our own REPTILE SHOW? 2012 TORTOISEFORUM.ORG Reptile Show? I know it sounds crazy, but it isnt impossible.

Want some advice from my perspective (as part of the Las Vegas Reptile Expo)? Take your time and money and run from this idea LOL! It's not something that is easy at all to get going. Many, many shows flop. Fortunately, we didn't lose money on the first attempt (October 2010), but we didn't really make money either. We are going to keep doing it and doing it with the thought that eventually it will be a money making thing (because it's too much work and headache to do for fun), but in the meantime, you'd probably be better off tying up money in almost any other idea. You simply can't do a show without money. All the enthusiasm in the world doesn't get people in the door besides your immediate following. Vendors don't go unless there's people in the door, and people don't go unless there's vendors they want to buy from. Bringing it all together is a lot more complicated than I expected it to be. Fortunately I have a good friend/partner in this that I think is a lot smarter than I am, so it worked out. Round 2 for us is next month.
 

Angi

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
2,745
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Tyler~ I am going to stock up on your Cyperus Mulch if you come to the San Diego show this year :) I haven't found it in big bags anywhere else.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
TortoiseSupply.com

New Posts

Top