Tortoises all dead, trader joes cucumbers poisoned them

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I am very sorry this has happened to you. It is very important for you to get a necropsy especially to those of us who have relatives, so we can cancel out anything that might run in the family.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I'm so sorry Rachael. This is certainly devastating news. I just hope that the others will be OK. HUGS!

rachaell

5 Year Member
The Russians are still seeming fine. Ive moved the remaining CDTs into the bathroom ( its like a heat box)
The vet I called recommend Olive oil so Ive fed that. If they make it through the night I will be surprised. The CDTs were sickly looking when they came to me so its hard to tell if they've got symptoms or not. I actually think that because they have been sickly (and sleeping so much) it may have saved them from the poisoning.. as I think the two sicker little ones seemed to have slept through breakfast.. I usually have to wake them up to eat and kind of nurse them to do so.. but this morning my boyfriend fed the CDTs and Russians while I was at work and he didnt wake the two little ones. The big healthy aggressive one was right there, ready to eat and jumped right on it.. says my boyfriend.

I cleaned out the russian enclosure and didnt see any cucs left.. so they must have eaten them.

kjhfalkjhdslkafh;h

CDTS and TTs were never allowed together..not even in the same room. The CDTs were so sickly looking I didnt want them to spread anything, just incase.

necropsy tomorrow.

thank you all for your kind words. I feel like im in some weird bubble.. like this isnt real. I hate that this happened so much. Those little TTs were.. I dont know.. they were what your little torts are to you.

Trader Joes corporate called me and left a message saying they were looking into it on their end and would call me back tomorrow. They seemed sincere.

side note: if anyone can mention to josh about my "Rachael" account being banned I would appreciate it.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
My thoughts and prayers are with you during this sad time. I think it's one of those things that is hard to imagine and you never think it will happen to you. It never crossed my mind that you could buy an organic vegetable and then have several of your tortoises die. It makes you paranoid to feed any now. Please keep us posted and if there's anything we can do to support you, let us know.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
This has me floored, I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Big hugs your way from our family.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ok, Rachael I know your going through a hard time. But when I gave you the CDT's all they had was a runny nose which would come and go. I feel your exagerating a little bit.....When I received the tortoises they werent in the best shape...They had soft shells and one had swollens eyes. But I managed to help them get better.. CDT's are not the hardiest of tortoise. Like I mentioned in a previous thread the smallest CDT was acting a little funny since I got I him... Maybe he was carrying a virus of some type..im not sure. I know I sound defensive but you keep stating they were sickly when you received them. I also mentioned to you that they avoided the black bulb at night and preferred the colder side of the enclosure which lead to their condition. Again my condolences, I cant imagine what your going through since I know your a very passionate tortoise keeper...

rachaell said:
The Russians are still seeming fine. Ive moved the remaining CDTs into the bathroom ( its like a heat box)
The vet I called recommend Olive oil so Ive fed that. If they make it through the night I will be surprised. The CDTs were sickly looking when they came to me so its hard to tell if they've got symptoms or not. I actually think that because they have been sickly (and sleeping so much) it may have saved them from the poisoning.. as I think the two sicker little ones seemed to have slept through breakfast.. I usually have to wake them up to eat and kind of nurse them to do so.. but this morning my boyfriend fed the CDTs and Russians while I was at work and he didnt wake the two little ones. The big healthy aggressive one was right there, ready to eat and jumped right on it.. says my boyfriend.

I cleaned out the russian enclosure and didnt see any cucs left.. so they must have eaten them.

kjhfalkjhdslkafh;h

CDTS and TTs were never allowed together..not even in the same room. The CDTs were so sickly looking I didnt want them to spread anything, just incase.

necropsy tomorrow.

thank you all for your kind words. I feel like im in some weird bubble.. like this isnt real. I hate that this happened so much. Those little TTs were.. I dont know.. they were what your little torts are to you.

Trader Joes corporate called me and left a message saying they were looking into it on their end and would call me back tomorrow. They seemed sincere.

side note: if anyone can mention to josh about my "Rachael" account being banned I would appreciate it.

moswen

5 Year Member
Oh that is just horrible! I'm so sorry for your loss...

However I do want to just throw this out there, if your cdts were already sickly, you don't think it could be coincidence that they died the same day you fed the cucumber? Tortoises are very hardy creatures and it (usually) does take them quite a while to die... I have no idea how to explain the other one dying the same day, that does seem to be a little too coincidental... Just throwing this thought out there! I agree with everyone else a necropsy would be best.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through, my prayers are with you!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
As a semi-related aside, I am surprised to see that so many seem surprised that so-called "organic" produce (a misnomer* in and of itself in its contextual application) could cause a problem (and I am not saying the produce is or is not involved in this incident). So-called "organic" produce need only be 10% "organic" to be labeled as "organic" at all, so that does not mean it is free of pesticides or other additive chemicals just because of that label claim.

*Organic refers to being composed of carbon. All known life is primarily carbon based. The meaning of the word, due to marketing alone, has been perverted in common speech to mean something else entirely. Additionally, the (potentially false) implication is that such produce is "better" than its competitor produce.

Now, with that out of the way, I'm hoping the remaining tortoises are still showing signs of positive health.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I am so sorry, i cannot even begin to understand how you are feeling.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

The thing is with cucumbers they grow from the humidity in the ground so if the plants have been sprayed with pesticide
or fertilizer then one would assume that some of that landed on the ground where it was later watered and has made its way into the plant.

if that makes sense, just throwing ideas out there..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
rachaell said:

I did this yesterday.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Oh...Racheal I am so sorry. For so many to die at the same time makes me think it was a stong pioson IN the cucumber. Just a thought, but they could have absorbed something that was sprayed on a plant near by. Also when 2 chemicals mix you could end up with several new chemicals. It sound like some food company made an awful mistake. I am so sorry your babies suffered. And as a torty mommy I feel so bad for you. Please keep us posted.:(

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Oh...Racheal I am so sorry. For so many to die at the same time makes me think it was a stong pioson IN the cucumber. Just a thought, but they could have absorbed something that was sprayed on a plant near by. Also when 2 chemicals mix you could end up with several new chemicals. It sound like some food company made an awful mistake. I am so sorry your babies suffered. And as a torty mommy I feel so bad for you. Please keep us posted.:(

This is just a crazy thought, but I have thrown cucumbers away because they taste bitter. I was told this is caused by cutting the wrong end. I guess it is a way for the cucumber to keep from being eaten...maybe before the seeds are ready...not sure. Anyway could what ever makes the bitter taste also be toxic to baby torts? I think it is the stem side that is suposed to be cut first, but I could be wrong.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
rachaell said:
Anaheim

Carlos Lopez, DVM
Brookhurst Animal Medical Center
1301 South Brookhurst Street
Anaheim, CA 92804
Tel: (714) 776-7387
Fax: (714) 563-0144

I got his number from the forum list.
he gave me the info and just said to sit tight and watch.

BAD VET! go to tri-city animal hospital on la palma

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Skyler Nell said:
rachaell said:
Anaheim

Carlos Lopez, DVM
Anaheim, CA 92804

Doctor Greek in La Habra is supposed to be great.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Shelly said:
Skyler Nell said:
rachaell said:
Anaheim

Carlos Lopez, DVM
Anaheim, CA 92804

I think his office is in Yorba Linda. But yes, I hear fantastic things about him!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Shelly said:
Skyler Nell said:
rachaell said:
Anaheim

Carlos Lopez, DVM
Anaheim, CA 92804

Yes, I have recommended him before Rachael. Dr. Greek is an excellent tort vet. Definately take the drive and use him. His knowledge and experience is worth it. Now that I have found him, I will never take my torts to another vet.

I am so sorry to hear this about your little guys. This is so horrible, and very scaring as it could have happened to anybody (if it was the food that did it). I would be beyond devastated, as I am sure you are. Give Dr. Greek a call right away to help the survivors.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Nothing to add but my condolences. So sorry for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.