Tortoises and noise

pchmura

Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
I am a middle school science and looking towards adding a tortoise as a classroom pet. Getting ready to get a tortoise I have been reading these forums avidly to get as much information as possible. Last night I was doing some reading and read that tortoises can be very sound sensitive. This gave me pause as my kids can be extremely loud. Not sharp sudden noises, but they are loud talkers and squeal sometimes. This is an inner city Title I school so many of these kids have never been around a pet so I think it would be a great experience for them. But I don't want to stress out a tortoise. Are there some types that are more noise tolerant? Or is this just a situation that won't work? TIA

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome. Tortoises in general respond (hear) noises differently than humans. Ive had my lawn mower, weed whacker and even a chain saw operating in close proximity to our Sulcata and not even a flinch. Laughing, giggling and talk won’t really impact your tortoise.

Not sure what kind of tort is “best” for a classroom, Sullys are cute but get large quickly. Maybe a Russian or Redfoot...

What are your plans for weekends, summer holidays, etc.?

Good luck

Ps - Tortoises and turtles do not hear much. They only seem to process and respond to a few sound frequencies- those made by hatching eggs, or mating and dueling adults. ... Tortoises are intelligent, though, and can see, smell, tell time to some extent, and sense vibrations well.
Source: https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/basics/hear-me

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am a middle school science and looking towards adding a tortoise as a classroom pet. Getting ready to get a tortoise I have been reading these forums avidly to get as much information as possible. Last night I was doing some reading and read that tortoises can be very sound sensitive. This gave me pause as my kids can be extremely loud. Not sharp sudden noises, but they are loud talkers and squeal sometimes. This is an inner city Title I school so many of these kids have never been around a pet so I think it would be a great experience for them. But I don't want to stress out a tortoise. Are there some types that are more noise tolerant? Or is this just a situation that won't work? TIA
I think your intentions are great, but tortoises don't make good classroom pets. They need very large enclosures compared to most other reptiles. The smallest species need 4x8' as adult. They all also need the power and heat to be on 24/7/365. Can you be sure the janitorial staff won't turn the power off at night, on weekends, and over holidays? They need daily care. Who will do this over the weekends? They also benefit from having an outdoor enclosure for fair weather. Is this possible at your school? Is it safe?

I think there are better pets for this sort of thing. Any of the temperate snake species would work well and so would a blue tongue skink.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I agree with Tom. A tortoise will not make a good classroom pet, as they require much more than most people are aware.

pchmura

Pensacola, FL
I actually intended to take the tortoise home with me every night and give it at least a few hours of outdoor time in an outside enclosure that I would build in my back yard. Plus we have a large concrete walled in garden at the school that the kids don't have access to during the day where I could put the tortoise for a bit each day during school hours. This is Florida so our weather is great for outdoor housing most of the year and I have a nice Florida room at home for cooler times (plus we are an extremely high humidity area that the tortoise should love!). And the tortoise would be home with me summers and holidays as well as nights of course. But I am thinking this probably isn't a good idea after all. I'm not allowed to have any mamals and I'm not into feeding live food (sorry but I just can't) so snakes are not a possibility. Fish are harder to transport during breaks/weekends so they aren't ideal. I will keep thinking of something else. Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I actually intended to take the tortoise home with me every night and give it at least a few hours of outdoor time in an outside enclosure that I would build in my back yard. Plus we have a large concrete walled in garden at the school that the kids don't have access to during the day where I could put the tortoise for a bit each day during school hours. This is Florida so our weather is great for outdoor housing most of the year and I have a nice Florida room at home for cooler times (plus we are an extremely high humidity area that the tortoise should love!). And the tortoise would be home with me summers and holidays as well as nights of course. But I am thinking this probably isn't a good idea after all. I'm not allowed to have any mamals and I'm not into feeding live food (sorry but I just can't) so snakes are not a possibility. Fish are harder to transport during breaks/weekends so they aren't ideal. I will keep thinking of something else. Thanks!
I think a tortoise would be nice for the kids. Why not keep the tortoise yourself in your own home and provide it with everything it needs, then have a "tortoise day" once or twice a month at the school? That way the tortoise will not be unduly stressed and the kids will still benefit from it. Would this work for you?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I think a tortoise would be nice for the kids. Why not keep the tortoise yourself in your own home and provide it with everything it needs, then have a "tortoise day" once or twice a month at the school? That way the tortoise will not be unduly stressed and the kids will still benefit from it. Would this work for you?
I like the sound of that.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

I was just going to chime in and say that tortoises really don’t like change (like you propose) and will get really stressed out and/or depressed with moving every day. Id call them creatures of their own habit. Slow to wake up, a yawn, crawl about foraging for food, a nap, move to a warm basking spot, a nap, a crawl n nibble, more napping, off to a secure area, dig in, nap, sleep. Moving from your house to school and back daily wouldn't be the best scenario.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I agree with Maro2Bear about frequent moving the tortoise about. But I think that as I suggested, it would not hurt once or twice per month, if done as carefully as possible. And he would be home summers and holidays with you anyway. Let us know what you decide.