Tortoises and snake mites

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
Has anyone ever personally owned or knew directly a person who had a tortoise get snake mites?

In this case I know a few of my new snakes in quarentine do/ did have mites. I am worried about them spreading to my leopard tortoise enclosure. But I am also somewhat uncertain if a tortoise can actually be affected by snake mites other than just being a carrier.
I don't see any mites in the tortoise enclosure yet or on the tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Has anyone ever personally owned or knew directly a person who had a tortoise get snake mites?

In this case I know a few of my new snakes in quarentine do/ did have mites. I am worried about them spreading to my leopard tortoise enclosure. But I am also somewhat uncertain if a tortoise can actually be affected by snake mites other than just being a carrier.
I don't see any mites in the tortoise enclosure yet or on the tortoise.
This is very interesting and I hope someone who has knowledge will come along and assist you, so I also can learn! I would also like to know of a treatment for snake or tortoise mites. It is a very bothersome problem.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
This is very interesting and I hope someone who has knowledge will come along and assist you, so I also can learn! I would also like to know of a treatment for snake or tortoise mites. It is a very bothersome problem.
Thank you, currently I am using Provent-a-mite to treat enclosures and Reptile relief on the actual snakes. Provent a mite can't be sprayed directly on to snakes but it can be sprayed onto tortoises. (For some reason). The only problem with using the provent a mite on the substrate is the substrate has to be completely dry.

Hector108

I am no expert or anything, so feel free to correct me. I have a ball python as well as my tortoise, but my snake has never gotten mites. If mites are like ticks/fleas, then couldn't they feed off any creature/reptile? I don't think they will spread unless you bring them close to one another. Wash your hands after/before handling your reptiles. Are they in the same room?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I am no expert or anything, so feel free to correct me. I have a ball python as well as my tortoise, but my snake has never gotten mites. If mites are like ticks/fleas, then couldn't they feed off any creature/reptile? I don't think they will spread unless you bring them close to one another. Wash your hands after/before handling your reptiles. Are they in the same room?
I have a tortoise in my heated room with the reptiles, but the mites seemed to be in the other room where I had my QT snakes, where I don't have any tortoises.
The problem with snake mites is that they can go airborne in their early life cycle stages so they can float if you will around a room or a smallish space .

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I seriously doubt a snake mite will infect a tortoise. They can certain be a problem for snakes and lizzards, but keep in mind, chelonians are not very closely related to snakes and lizzards. In fact, chelonians are much more closely related to birds than they are to snakes and lizzards.

Mites do not go airborn, but are good at crawling everywhere and seem to be able to get anywhere once present. However, they are also easily drowned. Bathing your tortoise regularly would also certainly get rid of any mites that just may happen to be there.