1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoises available in India other than Indian star tortoise

Discussion in 'Indian Star and Burmese Star tortoises' started by genetic_code, Feb 22, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. genetic_code

genetic_code Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Delhi
    Hey! Can we get tortoises other than Indian star here? At pet shops? Or can we get them shipped through any websites from any other country.
    I love keeping tortoises and want to look for more of them
    Help will be appreciated.
  2. RickyGoldsmith

RickyGoldsmith Active Member 5 Year Member

Uranus
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    They are banned in India. What you can get at pet shops is: Red Eared Slider turtle
  3. genetic_code

genetic_code Member

Delhi
    I thought only native species were banned like Indian stars. Are species like sulcata, cherry head, leopard etc also banned?
  4. RickyGoldsmith

RickyGoldsmith Active Member 5 Year Member

Uranus
    The legal stand on non-native species is unclear to me. Time and again you see on Indian media, when some celebrity poses with an exotic pet, that they have been charged. So that's what has me come to the conclusion.

It would be interesting if someone with the time, could vet it out in the judiciary and get a fresh judgement. To me, it looks all grey.