Tortoises Confiscated from Hoarder In Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I will ask one simple question, do you want someone who knows nothing about turtles and tortoises or even reptiles in general, making decisions on whether or not you can keep your animals?

grogansilver

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I will ask one simple question, do you want someone who knows nothing about turtles and tortoises or even reptiles in general, making decisions on whether or not you can keep your animals?
:tort: No! but unfortunately we live in a world where people are governed and Ruled by Laws in which we are to follow or they do take your animals away!! ( unless you live on your own Island :) "Doesn't that Suck!

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
ascott said:
Wow....if folks had their animals fixed upon taking them into their homes as "pets" there would not be as many unwanted pets running around. How many times has it been even shared here about the ferrel cats and unwanted critters on peoples property---folks shooting them, poisoning them, feeding them to their snakes, etc.

I believe that the humane society as a whole is a horrible place, a horrible system....but are you personally going to run the streets and pick up all animals that are running unwanted? I do not think so. I refused years ago to work at humane societies due to the task of "handling" the unwanted and uncared for animals....I always thought it had to have been full of cold hearted people in order for the task to be carried out....I still do. However, who is it that is called when there is a vicious dog on a property and the property owner does not want to handle the situation? Who is it that folks call when they stumble across a true animal abuse situation? It surely is not handled by the mainstream public....come on now, we are all aware of the horror that occurs, hell, the treatment for the live food we eat is no better...the food we artificially farm, the animals we farm for clothing, if you have a mountain lion pop up in your yard--who do you call to handle it, either animal control or fish n game, what do you honestly believe happens to those poor wild animals---who?....lets face it, we can be a pretty crappy species when we set our minds to it....I have said it before and will likely say it again, just because we "can" does not mean we "should"....and our thumbs are usually firmly planted in a crappy place vs being the wonderful items we rate our superiority on....

To look at the shell/top view of these tortoise in the story is no way taking a look at the tortoise itself, its weight, its overall condition...perhaps they were in the yard left to themselves---does this mean that they are being cared for well? yes maybe no maybe--who are we to know the facts...what I do know is that in my opinion if the other animals conditions are indicative of the type of care that this couple offered then it is likely better that the tortoise are removed as well...problem is that when this couple is out of the limelight, they will begin collecting again....such a shame...

I do not think that you all need to be as worried as you are about your personal reptile collections...seriously.?

IMHO that is.

I agree. I found a small dog a couple months ago that my very reliable vet said had been homeless for at least 4 weeks. The dog was in terrible shape, emaciated, dehydrated, bald, chronic skin and ear infections... The humane society made me return him after a week because he was finally reported missing, and the people "made a fuss". They didn't even charge the people with cruelty, or do check ins. Poor guy was less then half the size of my pug, he's probably the only pug in Canada left tied outside 24/7 (I drive by to check...)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They didn't even charge the people with cruelty, or do check ins

That is sickening....I wonder if you should ask them if you can donate a little doggie house and a cushion for the little one? Terrible.

You know that you can file a concern complaint and this requires an officer to go to the residence for welfare checks...after enough check ins perhaps the right officer will go there and agree that the care is not acceptable....just be certain to leave yourself as the contact in the event the owner turns the animal over ....

NO ONE likes to get someone in a situation...however, if you go by and see that dog is out in adverse weather, tied up and thin...I would no longer be concerned for the niceties...apparently the person does not.

Sometimes someone has to make a stand for the ones that can not.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
ascott said:
That is sickening....I wonder if you should ask them if you can donate a little doggie house and a cushion for the little one? Terrible.

You know that you can file a concern complaint and this requires an officer to go to the residence for welfare checks...after enough check ins perhaps the right officer will go there and agree that the care is not acceptable....just be certain to leave yourself as the contact in the event the owner turns the animal over ....

NO ONE likes to get someone in a situation...however, if you go by and see that dog is out in adverse weather, tied up and thin...I would no longer be concerned for the niceties...apparently the person does not.

Sometimes someone has to make a stand for the ones that can not.

Trust me I've tried. I took it so far as to chase down the head honcho of my local SPCA and told her (Yet again) about his condition, she wouldn't answer emails from me or my Mother so I had to present myself in person. Short of stealing him, I have tried every possible legal angle.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps your local newspaper would be interested in the poor mistreated and tied up thin little doggie who is out in the cold weather? Inhumane treatment sometimes can be corrected with the proper exposure....

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I've thought about it. But our newspaper is fairly closely tied in with the SPCA, they probably would not air the article. The SPCA here doesn't like being told their not doing their jobs properly, they don't really practice what they preach.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where there is a will there is a way. I really hope the little one gets a better set up for the extreme weather changes.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
ascott said:
Where there is a will there is a way. I really hope the little one gets a better set up for the extreme weather changes.

The SPCA argues that the porch is shelter. As long as they have shelter it must be perfectly fine. Sometimes people really suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.