Tortoises in So Cal Shelters! All CDTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Oh yes I know they want that much it's ridiculous to me. You can buy a pure breed puppy and that's what most people end up doing anyway. I remember when I wanted to rescue a pug, but went away from it when I found out they wanted $400.00 to rescue one. I don't know why they do that, although they say it's to account for the cost of rescuing it. I think they need to find another way. :(

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Not all rescues are like that. My rescue only asks for a $150 donation for a dog... regardless of age (puppy, adult, senior), breed (purebred or mix), health, etc. We put alot of money into our animals (medical, training, etc.), and while the adoption "donation" helps us continue to rescue dogs from the shelters, it is not much. I would not ask $400 for a dog though, but I know that most of the "breed specific" rescues do ask a higher fee for whatever reason.

All our dogs are spayed/neutered, UTD on shots, and microchipped too. Some also come fully trained by a professional, and they are always healthy (unless they have a life-long condition, in which the adopter is made fully aware of).

The CTTC doesn't charge for CDTs... they can't.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I like your rescue and I think that the others need to follow in your pattern if they really want to find good homes for their animals. I do realize that a rescue needs money to run and to give the best possible care to the animal. I just think that your price is much more reasonable then theirs. I didn't think that the CTTC would take money for the DT, but I wasn't positive about that either after what Walter said. I'm hoping that he called them on that little tortoise though. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
actually in my chapter they don't adopt out to non members so you have to join (20$ fee), but they don't charge for the licenses to non members either. that applies to CDT's only, as far as I know

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The pasadena shelter gave me the CTTC phone number and I spoke to linda? and the tortoise pictured has been adopted out. But she said Im up next..so the next tortoise is mine.=)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The one in Devore has been rescued.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I hate when people refer to tortoises as being rescued!. So I thought, when I get my rescued tortoise from the chapter, Im going to name it, PEACH if its girl or Mario or Luigi if its a boy and if its an evil tortoise, KUPPA.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tortuga_terrestre said:
I hate when people refer to tortoises as being rescued!. So I thought, when I get my rescued tortoise from the chapter, Im going to name it, PEACH if its girl or Mario or Luigi if its a boy and if its an evil tortoise, KUPPA.

Why do you say that? If the tortoise is being pulled by a rescue to be adopted out, then that term is correct. The rescue "rescues" the animal, the adopter "adopts" the animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.