Tortoises, Kids and Cats.

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
We have a 5 year old, who is super excited about getting Koopa in April.
She has been so interested in learned about them she asked her teacher in pre-school about them and because of how much she is talking about them and getting all the other kids interested the teacher has decided to make the last little while of school all about reptiles :) we are getting her as involved as we can with all the preparing (including her own little garden so she can help grow food for Koopa).
Wondering if any of you have any advice of maybe little chores she can do to help care for the tortoise when s/he is here. (all supervised obviously)
so far she will be going out to the back deck and collecting the greens and weeds as well as watering the plants. however she is at that age (and that type of kid) and LOVES helping with the pets (I dont even feed the cat or give the cat water she does it every day without even being asked she loves it and has been doing it daily for over a year)

As for our cat... we will have a lid on both the indoor and outdoor habitats, however im worried about the fur maybe being a irritant to the tortoise. I doubt I would have needed to make a lid on the indoor enclosure as the cat wouldnt even hunt a rat that got in from a open door (lazy!) but better safe then sorry. And the possibility of fleas? (she has regular flea baths but because there is so many outdoor cats hanging around our decks its almost impossible to keep her flea free.)

The outdoor cats are also a huge concern for me, im worried they will spray on the outdoor enclosure (covered (w/ wire) large plastic kiddie pool) could this be a problem? they wouldnt be able to use it as a litter box thank god but they do tend to spray on things left outside... we have to cover my daughters bike with a tarp. is there a safe way to ward off the stray cats while not effecting the tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is so cool that your child and the whole class is learning. Got a head start of some future tortoise keepers, very cool. As for your child helping, let her do all she can handle. Feeding, soakings, cleaning up any poop, any of it she can do, with supervision, like you mentioned. Just make sure she washes her hands after any chore.
As for the cat, my cat never bothered my leopard, but would go visit him once in a while when he still lived inside. Hair was never a problem. Now, I would not let a big clump of hair be eaten by the tort. I don't think torts get fleas, so I don't see that a problem. As for the outdoor cats, I would look for some kind of a deterrent, to keep them from even coming into the yard. Them marking would make me more concerned for my own cat and child. Maybe some of those motion sprinklers.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
all of those are tortoise safe? the smells arent going to bother him? I almost want to bath both my decks in those mixes haha! they climb up to my windows and drive my cat crazy! thanks so much Yvonne!
not sure if you have a indoor enclosure but if you do have you had any issues with cat dander, fur or anything like that effecting the tortoises at all? we brush her every few days but she has such long hair and with summer coming around soon im worried about the hair getting in the enclosure

(maybe im worrying to much i dont know)

wellington said:
That is so cool that your child and the whole class is learning. Got a head start of some future tortoise keepers, very cool. As for your child helping, let her do all she can handle. Feeding, soakings, cleaning up any poop, any of it she can do, with supervision, like you mentioned. Just make sure she washes her hands after any chore.
As for the cat, my cat never bothered my leopard, but would go visit him once in a while when he still lived inside. Hair was never a problem. Now, I would not let a big clump of hair be eaten by the tort. I don't think torts get fleas, so I don't see that a problem. As for the outdoor cats, I would look for some kind of a deterrent, to keep them from even coming into the yard. Them marking would make me more concerned for my own cat and child. Maybe some of those motion sprinklers.

we live on a top floor of a house and only have decks no actual yard so sprinklers wont work but i am going to try what Yvonne mentioned. if that doesnt work im just going to buy chicken wire and close up every little spot they can get in on the back deck. 7foot fence and big metal gates dont seem to be enough lol :)

glad to hear shes okay to do stuff like soakings and cleaning up as long as she washes up after. she sat here today looking at pictures of HUGE tortoises (we are getting a russian tortoise) telling us all about how turtles (aquatic ones) are different from tortoises, webbed feet etc. was too cute! i love how interested she is. hopefully it stays this way, so our little friend can stay in the family!

hair clumps are never a issue here with regular brushing so that is good to hear :)

I told my husband last night, I dont know what I would have done without you guys and this forum. you all have made this a fun adventure and so much less stressful.
we made some huge changes in our 'plans' not only for the enclosures, substrates, feeding plans etc. but also switched from a box turtle to a russian tortoise due to the fact that we could provide a better life for a russian then we could have for a box turtle.
so thank you guys/gal's for everything! (even our silly little questions)

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Orlando Florida
A little off topic but if these are stray cats have you thought about doing a trap neuter release with them? You can see if there's any programs in your area where you trap them, have them neutered for cheap and release them back out. Might cut down or eliminate the spraying altogether and keep you from having litters of kittens popping up.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
Actually I have, however none of the shelters here will do the trap neuter and release in my area (there isnt enough of them to bother when there are worse areas i guess). I have a note up and a collection jar at our community hall just up the block from our house, so I can do it myself (a shelter has agreed to lower the prices 15% for this) however the people in the area just dont care one bit they would rather kill the babies (which sadly has happened one too many times when they find the babies in the back yards) its horrible. and im def. trying to get this taken care of properly. our landlady helps as much as she cat by atleast providing them all with food and water (and of course a safe yard to sleep in) and try's to adopt out the babies. this is actually how we got our cat she was the only survivor from one of the guys down the streets killing spree :(

we are saving up to get this problem under control but its a hard thing to do with 10+ cats out there and with the animal shelters so full, they would just catch and put them down... they are all so sweet too id rather live with the problem then see them taken to a death house.

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Orlando Florida
That's too bad. We've used a tnr program here for a mama and a couple of her babies to keep from ending up with a big cat colony. When you drop them off it's amazing to see how many cats they spay/neuter every week. I know they get funding from petsmart and other charities.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
Yeah all those programs here are private owned shelters and as far as I know there is only 2 one for cats and one for dogs. then of course the death house. However my Spanish is horrible so I could be missing a few places. but its def. on my list of things that need to be done. we even have one with a broken foot running around out there (this is actually someones pet!!! not a stray!! and my cats father too) wish I was able to get that guy trapped and to a vet... put about 7 letters in those peoples mail box requesting they take him to a vet and get his foot fixed and keep him indoors... with a nice little note back in mine saying some pretty nasty things and telling me to mind my own business... its really too sad