tortoises reptiles in hawaii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

argus333

5 Year Member
anyone here live in hawaii and keep reptiles? i may be able to move to the big island in about 5 yrs. wondering what the deal is there keeping tortoises and lizards i know they have some restrictions, but would love to get aldabra as soon as i arrived...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are a few members from Hawaii. They don't seem to be on the forum much. None breed Aldabras that I know of. Lucky you. I love Hawaii.

argus333

5 Year Member
well not 100% sure yet,,, would still really like to bring my animals.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure, but don't you have to quarantine animals for like six months before they will let them into Hawaii? If so, that's the part that sucks about moving there with animals:(

argus333

5 Year Member
think u need a vet cirificate of some kind and no quartine?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
From what I know, most reptiles that arent native are illegal, and permits impossible to get. I had a manager at work just transfer to the new Hawaii store, she had to rehome all her geckos, and did a quarantine with an airline recommended vet and everything necessary to get her parrot to Hawaii, only for the bird to be rejected upon arrival. You will probably need to rehome your reptiles and start a new collection when you get there. See if there are any tortoises native to the Islands

The quarentine was 7 consecutive days prior to the flight. Health certificates are required and one other cert/lisc from what I remember.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
To bring tortoises into Hawaii requires a permit from Hawaii Dept of Agriculture as well as a health certificate on the tortoises within (I think) 7 days of shipping. There's no quarantine required, but they do have to be shipped into Honolulu (for inspection) and then forwarded on to other islands. I've heard that they don't allow certain tortoises like manouria, but I've shipped greeks, hermanns, leopards, sulcatas, reds and cherries there.

I'd love to have 5-10 acres on the big island....

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Amazing how strict they are with reptiles in Hawaii and not Florida. It's full of feral reptiles.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Hawaii, just like Puerto Rico has some very unusual species requirements. There is a short list of animals that are allowed to be Imported into Hawaii, and you would have to contact the wildlife management authority to get that list. I'm sure it changes yearly. I've shipped to Hawaii many times and it is a fairly easy process........

Just an FYI though - Hawaii is full of Invasives........Trioceros J. Xantholophus, Phelsuma Guimbeaui, Phelsuma Laticauda, and Dendrobates Auratus to name a few.....And being a Florida resident that holds many licenses to keep Reptiles, the State is fairly strict on its captive wildlife laws.......

conservation

10 Year Member!
Eric, are you familiar with the Reptile laws of Puerto Rico? I am toying with the idea of buying a small ranch property there. It is super affordable.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Pets101 said:
Eric, are you familiar with the Reptile laws of Puerto Rico? I am toying with the idea of buying a small ranch property there. It is super affordable.

Don't expect to do much of anything in the way of Reptiles if you decide to go with it.....I don't them all, but I do know enough to advise against it....

Status
Not open for further replies.