TORTOISES SEXED BY XRAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
You might be able to do this via X-ray, but from what I understand, it would be tough without the presence of eggs as X-rays aren't great at showing soft tissues (reproductive tissues in this case). I could be mistaken, but something with greater resolution (like an MRI) would probably be better.

Let's see what some more experienced people say.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
They can be endoscopically sexed, but that doesn't involve an X-ray........

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
At that age I doubt it would be possible except by an endoscope, as for xrays would the penis or ovaries show up on one?

Katherine

5 Year Member
IMO it is very challenging to determine reproductive organs (and most other soft tissue) on X-ray of a tortoise. I am sure there's a radiologist somewhere who may be able to do better than a guess, but I don't know that there is much available for comparison as far as gender specific radiographs on young tortoises go. Just curious....what's the rush? I kind of like the "late in life" surprise element of tortoise gender : )

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Plus I would have a wee side concern of why would anybody want to expose them to Xrays?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have been thinking about getting another leopard. I do not want to have babies. I want to house them together, of course unless they don't get along, I can separate. However I don't want to separate because of one being male and one female. I wouldn't think one XRAY would be harmful. I guess it doesn't matter now, if it won't work anyway. How stressful would an endoscopic test be on them? Also would an MRI work and be better, less stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.