tortoises that are good for FL climate

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Hello,
I am wondering what species would be good for FL climate. It can get down to 25-30 F here at night in the winter and its really wet during the summer. I have Redfoots which are doing real well. The winter is kind of a pain but other than that its great. Just wondering if there are any other species you could recommend that I look into.
Thanks!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I would think the elongated tortoise would do well in your climate. I believe the care is very similar to redfoot care.

IloveMyBengalCat

5 Year Member
voodoochild said:
Hello,
I am wondering what species would be good for FL climate. It can get down to 25-30 F here at night in the winter and its really wet during the summer. I have Redfoots which are doing real well. The winter is kind of a pain but other than that its great. Just wondering if there are any other species you could recommend that I look into.
Thanks!

Hi! I live in Tampa and have a pair of Sulcata's that are doing awesome and are looking for a new home! I rescued them and need to rehome them. when it gets under 25 degrees, I turn on a warming light that I got from Petsmart for torts and they go inside of their little house and have no issues. I also buy hay(not sure whatkind but it is the kid they eat too) and put it in their area and they get under it and snuggle.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I live in Tarpon Springs and have a sulcata and a leopard. they are both doing great!! really any tort that doesnt mind the humidity would do fine. Good luck :D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Florida is one of the greatest places to raise torts. Elongateds, yellowfoots, sulcatas, leopards, hermanns, radiateds, the list can go on and on really.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Cool. Radiated torts are awesome. I guess the only other thing that concerns me is digging. Don't all of these torts dig? And I don't think I've ever seen radiated torts for sale. I've only seen them in zoos. Anyone know how much hatchlings would go for? You think they'd have em at the Daytona show this wknd?
Thanks!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
None of those really dig. Sulcatas definitely do but the others that I listed really arent equipped to do so besides the hermanns and I would set them up differently than the others anyway (garden type setup). Whatever you decide on it will be available at the Daytona show. I wish I could go (hopefully next year because the Daytona show blows every show in AZ out of the water). Radiateds are typically around $1,000 although I'm sure you can find them a few hundred bucks cheaper than that in Florida.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Eweezyfosheezy said:
None of those really dig. Sulcatas definitely do but the others that I listed really arent equipped to do so besides the hermanns and I would set them up differently than the others anyway (garden type setup). Whatever you decide on it will be available at the Daytona show. I wish I could go (hopefully next year because the Daytona show blows every show in AZ out of the water). Radiateds are typically around $1,000 although I'm sure you can find them a few hundred bucks cheaper than that in Florida.

That sounds awesome. I just let my redfoots have the whole yard. I'm guessing it's illadvised to mix species or do people do that?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
How the heck did I forget. Aldabras are obviously great torts there as well. Although size can definitely be an issue. People do mix species but most people here on the forum dont. No upside to keeping mixed species together only downside in my opinion. If you do have room for an Aldabra contact Aldabraman!!!

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Eweezyfosheezy said:
How the heck did I forget. Aldabras are obviously great torts there as well. Although size can definitely be an issue. People do mix species but most people here on the forum dont. No upside to keeping mixed species together only downside in my opinion. If you do have room for an Aldabra contact Aldabraman!!!

I wish I had enough room. Once they get big it's gotta be a challenge moving them in on a cold night.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
voodoochild said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

I wish I had enough room. Once they get big it's gotta be a challenge moving them in on a cold night.

Tasty treats usually do the trick. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.