TORTOISES WAKING UP DUE TO 90 DEGREE WEATHER

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Twelve of my sixteen tortoises have come out of hibernation because of the warm weather. It has been 90 degrees here in Alta Loma, CA. Normally they come out of hibernation around mid March or so. This time of the year I am normally preparing their enclosures for the coming Spring – growing seeds, etc. It is so early in the year that even the weeds in the enclosures are are just starting to grow. I have not even planted seeds in their enclosures yet. I was planning on doing that this weekend.

The adult Russian male is already mating with all the females that are awake in the adult enclosure.

I have been missing all my tortoises and I was very happy to see them, but I am worried that the weather is going to turn real cold again and perhaps cause them to become sick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've kicked all my spring planting into high gear this week too. After the consistently cool, but not very cold winter we had, I'd be really surprised if we had another freeze.

About your tortoises: This is why I won't hibernate anything outside here in SoCal. Its just too inconsistent. All my russians are sleeping comfortably in my fridge at 39 degrees F. They won't be bothered in the least if it get hotter, or colder outside for the next month. This is also the reason I've built heat into my outdoor Russian shelters. A little night heat helps even out the inconsistent weather of early spring and late fall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
do you have a spot indoors to put them if it gets cold again

NO! Don't bring them indoors. They are acclimated to the existing weather and if you bring them in and set them up under lights, you'll have to keep them that way until the weather warms up. The only thing you have to worry about is rain or frost. If you suspect it's going to freeze at night or rain just make sure they're all tucked up nice and dry inside their shelters and block them in.

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
NO! Don't bring them indoors. They are acclimated to the existing weather and if you bring them in and set them up under lights, you'll have to keep them that way until the weather warms up. The only thing you have to worry about is rain or frost. If you suspect it's going to freeze at night or rain just make sure they're all tucked up nice and dry inside their shelters and block them in.
Haha this is why your the expert and I'm not

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I assume the tortoises have not eaten. If they have, they'll need time to digest the food while they are at warm temperatures before they go back into hibernation. One of my desert box turtles just got up when the high was about 84° here. She did not eat - I soaked her and put her back in her hibernaculum. So far she has stayed in despite highs in the 80s. Everyone else remains in hibernation. I'm planning to shade the hibernaculums from sunlight to keep them cooler. If they have really good insulation, which mine do, and the sun stays off of their hibernation borough or box, they should be able to go back to sleep all right. I don't block them in only because of the risk of dehydration – if they need water they can't get up and get it on their own. Hope yours go back to sleep easily.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My desert tortoises are up and about too. It is forecast to be in the 80s for the next two weeks, looks like they are up for good. If there is one or two more cold snaps they will be short a week at most and that won't hurt them even if they have been eating. It will be a nice long season this year to fatten them up for next winter.