Status
Not open for further replies.

John_The_Tortoise_Guy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern USA
Hi All,
I have been keeping redfoots and cherryhead redfoots for years. But recently I have decided to add to my tortoise collection. 2006 CB 0.4 P.a.arachnoides. I had worked with P.a.bragooi on a limited scale in the past, never owning or breeding. I am hoping to get a few more and establish a small CB colony of these guys. I would also like to get some established Brazilian cherryheads to round off my group maybe 1.3 or so, although it might be hard to find them in the same size range as the ones I have now.

Besides the torts my girlfriend and I have many more animals 1.1 hedgehogs, 0.0.2 red ackies, many different crested geckos, gargoyle geckos, 0.1 mourning geckos, 1.0 pixie frog (huge boy), a colony of 8 emperor newts, 0.0.6 Eastern Egyptian Uromastix, 2.2 giant day geckos, 0.0.7 gold dust day geckos, 1.1 Mexican rosy boas 0.1 Red Knee Tarantula, 3.3 sugar gliders cinnamon and normal color variety 1.2 domestic cats, 0.1 teacup Chihuahua.

So my first question to all who know about Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides what kind of substrate do you use? what kind of feeding schedule do you keep etc. I have read a lot of general information but I want to hear what works best for you. There are many more "backyard breeders" than there are "experts" especially with this species from what I can gather. Any information that you have would be very much appreciated.
Thank you
-John

Below are the new girls eating some fruit

Pyxis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi John,
I keep my Spiders on soil and peat, deep enough for them to burrow into. I feed 4 to 5 times a week, greens, vegetables and occasionally fruit. I supplement at every feeding when they are small.
Your new Spiders look great. :D How big are they? They don't quite look big enough to sex positively, but if you post plastron and tail shots I might be able to help. :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John: Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will be a valuable asset to the group!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the Forum John. Congrats on your new little spidies. They look great.

John_The_Tortoise_Guy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Thank you all for the warm welcome
Danny they are all in between 2 3/4" and 3 1/4". I will post plastron and tail pictures soon. When I obtained them I was told they were incubated warm so the chances of them being female was high.
thanks for the info guys
John

John_The_Tortoise_Guy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Here are the Plastron pictures Danny
pyxie-plastrons.jpg

Here are closeups if that was not detailed enough
Left
Pyxie-left.jpg

Left Middle
Pyxie-leftmiddle.jpg

Right Middle
Pyxie-rightmiddle.jpg

Right
Pyxie-right.jpg

they are posted here if you want more images

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn3/John_The_Tortoise_Guy/

enjoy
-John

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Nice to have you and am looking forward to reading more posts from you.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi John,
Spiders are one of the harder tortoises to sex before 3 inches but here goes. :D
Left-----Male
Left Middle--------Female
Right Middle-------Female, but the tail looks a bit big :p
Right----Male

Yes they are P.a.arachnoides :D

Danny

John_The_Tortoise_Guy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Eastern USA
sorry about the broken links... Had to move the album around And I guess the Administrator of the site does not allow editing after 30 minutes

so here are the pictures again

pyxie-plastrons.jpg

Left
Pyxie-left.jpg

Left Middle
Pyxie-leftmiddle.jpg

Right Middle
Pyxie-rightmiddle.jpg

Right
Pyxie-right.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.