Tortoisesupply.com "Testudo Seed Mix" Thread

kbaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I just noticed in my patch that there are radishes, too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
theelectraco said:
Tom, how many lbs of seed mix did this project take?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

This was just a few handfuls of the seed mix. Not sure of the weight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Last week's update:

I used a standard 19 oz. water bottle for a size reference.
4gm4iw.jpg

2pttbgh.jpg

es18jm.jpg

CJohnson

5 Year Member
This may be a silly question, but how long do you let it grow before harvesting? I let my little guy nibble on them when I start seeing leaves.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, that's looking good. I have a staycation coming up next week and plan to start the same mix in some giant clay pots we have leftover from some trees we transplanted. Hope it turns out as well. Of course I'm only looking to feed two little torts, not the army you've got over there.

Oh, and I also meant to ask if anyone has experience with a seed mix they especially like for DTs. We've got a lot of grasses in the yard, but could use some ideas...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CJohnson said:
This may be a silly question, but how long do you let it grow before harvesting? I let my little guy nibble on them when I start seeing leaves.

I just chopped it all down this evening. Filled two five gallon buckets. :D

It was getting dark so I couldn't get a pic, but it will regrow in a week or two.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So growth slowed way down over winter, but I was still able to pull food from it some of the time. Now that spring is in the air, my table is exploding with growth again. To be clear, these are the same seeds I planted last year. I have done nothing but harvest it and water it.

358nqd0.jpg

120h7k0.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I got a batch coming in any day now...

ktblr

5 Year Member
Are these seeds good for greek tortoises?
Any advice on growing these seeds?
He is in a tortoise table inside. Is it best to grow them in pots, trays, in his enclosure?

Sorry I am new to tortoises; just bought my son a hatchling in December.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
My "very-limited-space-apartment-living-solution" is to plant these seeds in a pot (with pesticide-free soil, of course) and then give it a good watering. I stuck these pots in the enclosure where they can get good light. The seeds started sprouting the next day :) so I am gonna get several more of those pots going for "crop rotation" :D

My original plan was to grow it in larger flat trays, but where my apartment is, I don't get very much direct sunlight in the mornings, and setting up another heat lamp for it made my apartment WAY too hot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ktblr said:
Are these seeds good for greek tortoises?
Any advice on growing these seeds?
He is in a tortoise table inside. Is it best to grow them in pots, trays, in his enclosure?

Sorry I am new to tortoises; just bought my son a hatchling in December.

Yes. Greek tortoises are in the genus Testudo, and so this mix is specifically made for them and a few other species within that genus. It also happens to work well for just about any other species too.

There are many ways to grow it. I like to grow it outside, but it will sprout in pots or trays indoors too.

AMA904

Tom (or anyone for that matter) - Can you harvest this stuff and freeze it for use later? If so, what's the best method?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I planted this 4x8' planter box three weeks ago. It has a mix of native dirt, and planting soil all mixed together. It serves as a shade shelter for my leopards, and in another couple of weeks it will be providing some food for them too. I planted it much more densely than Tyler recommends. Since I'm growing it where they can't reach it, I wanted maximum density. I'm experimenting with different ways to do this. I think doing it this way might over crowd some of the seeds that sprout later. I'll do another planter box a different way and also document the results.

Here it is within days of planting.
16j223q.jpg

71tzrt.jpg

Here it is after three weeks.
2vab85f.jpg

bgbsba.jpg

More updates will follow.
That's like a crackpot buffet for babies lol. I've been meaning to try some of these planter boxes. But with so many tortoise we have, it's hard to keep up, and I just end up reseeding the pastures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom (or anyone for that matter) - Can you harvest this stuff and freeze it for use later? If so, what's the best method?

I've not experimented much with that because I don't really need to, but when I have tried to freeze greens, they usually turn to mush.