Tortoisesupply.com "Testudo Seed Mix" Thread

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's like a crackpot buffet for babies lol. I've been meaning to try some of these planter boxes. But with so many tortoise we have, it's hard to keep up, and I just end up reseeding the pastures.

I started another one right next door to this one and its going like crazy too. I need to post some pics...

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
So much dedicated space!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So much dedicated space!

What? 4x8? I run 10 or so plots this size at any given time, plus my whole backyard is a pesticide and chemical free sulcata food grass and weed farm. I've got dandelion, prickly sow thistle, broad leaf and narrow leaf plantain, and at least three types of grass. I mow it with an electric mower, mix the clippings with weeds and leaves, and the torts munch it all down.

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
Heh - I meant the whole setup, Tom. I am in the process of looking for my first [starter] home, and am jealous of all the yard space!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Heh - I meant the whole setup, Tom. I am in the process of looking for my first [starter] home, and am jealous of all the yard space!

Ahh yes. Gotta have some space to do tortoises. That's for sure.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Has anyone had any luck planting this directly where it will be grazed on? I am curious if it will come back... I have had this planted three weeks now (protected) and am hoping to let Tuleo loose on it in another two weeks...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I obviously live in a different claimant then you but yes, I planted directly in the outdoor pen. If you let your tortoise on it too early they will eat it all before it can get established. Maybe block off part of it and let it grow a little before you let your tortoise on it. And it should come back next year pretty well. Or grow year-round if that is your climate, you lucky person you.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I obviously live in a different claimant then you but yes, I planted directly in the outdoor pen. If you let your tortoise on it too early they will eat it all before it can get established. Maybe block off part of it and let it grow a little before you let your tortoise on it. And it should come back next year pretty well. Or grow year-round if that is your climate, you lucky person you.

Thank you! What is your suggested time frame on when it is typically established? I do have some growing on his table in his enclosure and behind our garage as well (to cut from once he mows down what is inside his oasis.) Our winters are pretty mild and I'm excited to see how this stuff grows!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Has anyone had any luck planting this directly where it will be grazed on? I am curious if it will come back... I have had this planted three weeks now (protected) and am hoping to let Tuleo loose on it in another two weeks...
Yes. My pens have that seed mix and a lot but not all of the plants return.
It looks like anything not eaten all the way to the ground comes right back.
I have it growing in an above ground planter also. I clip the plants with scissors and most of it also re grows.
The bag of seeds seem small, but you can do a lot with it.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I planted that seed mix and the only thing that's growing is this watercress type stuff.:(

FLGirl41

5 Year Member

I am very interested in growing this mix in outdoor planters. Do you have an idea of the minimum temperature it will tolerate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am very interested in growing this mix in outdoor planters. Do you have an idea of the minimum temperature it will tolerate?

Mine slows down in our winter here and almost stops growing. We have lots of below freezing nights, and it doesn't seem to bother my seed mix plots. When spring returns, it grows like crazy. I can fill a five gallon bucket once a week with a 4x8' plot.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Awesome thread, @Tom! I just love your photos! :)
Mine survived just fine through a Michigan winter! I did have to clear a lot of dead stuff out to make room for the spring growth though.

nathanlevi

California, North Hollywood, LA
I planted this 4x8' planter box three weeks ago. It has a mix of native dirt, and planting soil all mixed together. It serves as a shade shelter for my leopards, and in another couple of weeks it will be providing some food for them too. I planted it much more densely than Tyler recommends. Since I'm growing it where they can't reach it, I wanted maximum density. I'm experimenting with different ways to do this. I think doing it this way might over crowd some of the seeds that sprout later. I'll do another planter box a different way and also document the results.

Here it is within days of planting.
16j223q.jpg

71tzrt.jpg

Here it is after three weeks.
2vab85f.jpg

bgbsba.jpg

More updates will follow.
If you post a picture of the insect or the bite marks people might be able to tell which insect it is if its a caterpillar then just flip over a leaf and you might find it if it is an earwig that you can put vasseline around the steps of the plants or put a newspaper rolled up and they will gather in the news paper.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you post a picture of the insect or the bite marks people might be able to tell which insect it is if its a caterpillar then just flip over a leaf and you might find it if it is an earwig that you can put vasseline around the steps of the plants or put a newspaper rolled up and they will gather in the news paper.
We have a ton of ear wigs. I'm going to try the newspaper thing and see what I get. I can feed the bastards to my tarantulas!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you know how fast cactus pads grow?

It varies a lot. I have around 40 stands and some grow quickly and produce a lot of pads, while another one of the same variety planted right next to it doesn't do much at all. That's why I tell people to plant a bunch of them. Some will take off and some will just sit there not doing much.