Tortoisesupply.com "Testudo Seed Mix" Thread

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I planted this 4x8' planter box three weeks ago. It has a mix of native dirt, and planting soil all mixed together. It serves as a shade shelter for my leopards, and in another couple of weeks it will be providing some food for them too. I planted it much more densely than Tyler recommends. Since I'm growing it where they can't reach it, I wanted maximum density. I'm experimenting with different ways to do this. I think doing it this way might over crowd some of the seeds that sprout later. I'll do another planter box a different way and also document the results.

Here it is within days of planting.
16j223q.jpg

71tzrt.jpg

Here it is after three weeks.
2vab85f.jpg

bgbsba.jpg

More updates will follow.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Looks good.. I have been considering ordering this mix and re planting some sections of both my pens with it.

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
where did you get the mix from? Im currently growing clovers and dandelions... I would love to grow multiples if i can just buy the seeds in one! im to lazy to buy them separately! >.<

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks good. I think I will be using your table idea when Tatum is a little older. I love the double duty of it.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
How fun! Good luck with the gardening, Tom! :)

How do you plan on keeping the roots from frying in the boxes? They have a natural insulation when they're in the ground, but those roots get hot when elevated, especially in this part of SoCal during the summer.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Are you just using plywood on the bottom? If so, did you treat it or do something else to prevent it from rotting?

I'd like to do an elevated garden like this, but I'm trying to figure out a good bottom that would support it for a long time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're not worried about the size, I was thinking a couple of cement mixing tubs in some sort of stand would outlast the wooden ones.

I haven't used Tyler's seed mixture, but I'm going to order some. Does it have any grass in it? The stuff I bought from Joe Heinen had too much grass in it.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I just planted this exact same mix from the same people! I used a seed starter tray I got from our local "Feed and Seed." It is made if lightweight plastic and has little perforations in the bottom for drainage. It's really not sturdy, but was only meant to get the seeds started. I'll set it in a hole in Elsa's enclosure once they're big enough to eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jlant85 said:
where did you get the mix from?

Ummmm... Is this some sort of trick question?

I got the mix from here:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

mctlong said:
How fun! Good luck with the gardening, Tom! :)

How do you plan on keeping the roots from frying in the boxes? They have a natural insulation when they're in the ground, but those roots get hot when elevated, especially in this part of SoCal during the summer.

I have no idea how that will go. Some plants do fine and others die off. Time will tell.

Neal said:
Are you just using plywood on the bottom? If so, did you treat it or do something else to prevent it from rotting?

I'd like to do an elevated garden like this, but I'm trying to figure out a good bottom that would support it for a long time.

I'll have to take some pics for you, but I made a sturdy framework of pressure treated 2x4s under this one to keep it from bowing under the weight. I intentionally left all the wood completely untreated to see how long it will all last. I used regular 18/32 plywood for the bottom, but I framed it all with 2x4s in the corners and all along the bottom for more support and sturdiness. I'll try and get some pics of the bottom for you today.

Yvonne G said:
If you're not worried about the size, I was thinking a couple of cement mixing tubs in some sort of stand would outlast the wooden ones.

I haven't used Tyler's seed mixture, but I'm going to order some. Does it have any grass in it? The stuff I bought from Joe Heinen had too much grass in it.

No grass at all in this mix. It specifically says so in the ad on Tyler and Sarah's website. See the link above. This is my second year using this mix and I absolutely love it. Last year I only had a 4x4 plot of it, but that little plot filled my 5 gallon bucket with tortoise food about 12 times. I think it would still be producing, but the gophers got to it. ...darn gophers. Hate those little vermin!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Jlant85 said:
where did you get the mix from? Im currently growing clovers and dandelions... I would love to grow multiples if i can just buy the seeds in one! im to lazy to buy them separately! >.<
LOL i didnt look at the title! but im going to go ahead and order one. The one im growing is Home depot white clover and i just collected dandelion seeds from the pods i see when i walk around. Cant wait to try this though. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These pics are two days old. I've got some sort of bug nibbling on my new leaves. Its driving me nuts, but I can't find what's doing it. I've been pinching off the chewed leaves and feeding them out. Growth seems to have really sped up over the last few days. I'll be doing my first harvest soon.

ws192r.jpg

2n6dk4k.jpg

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Looks nice :) I have considered ordering this mix, and am enjoying watching it grow. About how fast did it grow for you? Is it in full sun? How much water is it offered?

I can't wait to see it well and fully grown.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The above pics are about a month of growth. It's been cool and overcast some days, but lately the stuff has really started to sprout. It's in full sun from about 10am to 7pm. Depending on temps I water it once or twice a day. When I first plant it, I keep the soil damp all the time. On a hot day I might lightly water it 8-10 times to keep it from drying out. On a cool over cast day I just hit it once in the evening.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wiccan_chicken said:
Thank you, so this mix requires some water eh?

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but don't all germinating seeds need some water? The only plants I don't water much are freshly planted cactus pads.

This seed mix doesn't need any more water than any other seed mix that I've tried.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Tom, how many lbs of seed mix did this project take?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Tom said:
wiccan_chicken said:
Thank you, so this mix requires some water eh?

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but don't all germinating seeds need some water? The only plants I don't water much are freshly planted cactus pads.

This seed mix doesn't need any more water than any other seed mix that I've tried.

I was just joking XD It was a lead on to a very bad joke, that I shouldn't have started XD