1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoisetown,Turtlesandtortoises,Arizonatortoise compound

Discussion in 'Tortoise Vendor Reviews' started by Xetryia, Feb 28, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Xetryia

Xetryia New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    WI
    Hello, I would like people to know about my quest for a Hermann's tortoise. I made inquiries to turtlesandtortoises, tortoisetown, and arizona tortoise compound. Here's what happened...

I am not a breeder nor big-time enthusiast. I wanted one Hermann's tortoise, ideally a companion for life. I wanted photos and to choose my new buddy.

I emailed them all, the first two to respond were turtlesandtortoises by a man named Jay and tortoisehouse by Brian.

Tortoise house refused to send photos. The reasoning was to keep costs low (¯\_(ツ)_/¯??), and that a biologist chooses which one at time of shipment. This didn't feel right because only one was listed available on the website and only one confirmed by Brian in my requested age range, so if it wasnt that one...then where am I buying from?

Turtles and tortoises agreed to send photos but never did. They said sure but they all look the same. I highly disagree...shell patterns vary greatly in my eyes and for my lifetime companion, it matters to ME.

The last reply I received from Arizona tortoise compound by Andrew the day after. I was a little unnerved at this point but was welcomed with open arms. They agreed to send photos, ship immediately, and replied frequently. I received the exact tortoise I picked out two days later. The package arrived via Fedex and had a styrofoam encasing, humid moisturized bedding in a neat mini sack, and a heat pack,-still warm. Another important thing included was an instruction sheet on soaking my tortoise upon arrival. My Hermann's was alert and friendly. The tortoise was not shy at all and ate even on the first day.

A week later everything is great. I've done quite a bit of research but if I had any questions I'd feel welcomed to ask Andrew.
    Overall a great experience and I do not regret my decision.
    I've since named my buddy Hermes after Andrew (Hermes) since I was stuck on one and thought it was a cool name that just clicked.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. jwking

jwking New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Virginia
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I bought my baby leopard tortoise from Andrew at Arizona Tortoise Compound and she is perfect! Very happy and healthy.
    Grandpa Turtle 144 likes this.