Tortophile from 2 miles west of the middle of nowhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Greetings all,

I'm not sure why I haven't stumbled upon this site before. I believe I am a member of almost every forum site this side of Jupiter. Any way, I'm here now.

I have been interested in herps and a herp keeper for quite a while - I was born that way... I currently breed several species of tort; the latest first for me was today - 47 Manouria e. phayrei eggs. WOOHOO! :D

mepbasket.jpg

I know, on a forum name basis, some of the members here from the other forums of which I am a member. Hi all y'all!

Glad to see the level of activity & hope to learn and help in whatever way I can...

Art

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Art :)

That's a very nice first :D

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome Art! Now that you have found TFO, prepare to start neglecting your other forums. No, seriously.

Are you out somewhere near Bumfukt, Egypt then? Wherever you are your MEP seem to like it there! I've have been dying to get some of these, but I haven't because the summers here (SoCal High Desert) are just brutal. I've resigned my self to the fact that I will just have to put up an air conditioned shed for them to be in for those hot summer days. I just can't resist any longer.

So when these hatch, we'll have to talk. Can we see pics of the adults and their enclosure?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Welcome Art! Now that you have found TFO, prepare to start neglecting your other forums. No, seriously.

Are you out somewhere near Bumfukt, Egypt then? Wherever you are your MEP seem to like it there! I've have been dying to get some of these, but I haven't because the summers here (SoCal High Desert) are just brutal. I've resigned my self to the fact that I will just have to put up an air conditioned shed for them to be in for those hot summer days. I just can't resist any longer.

So when these hatch, we'll have to talk. Can we see pics of the adults and their enclosure?

Very true! This is the most INFECTIOUS forum I've ever belonged to...and welcome Art! Congrats on the 47...hope they all come to fruition.:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Art:

Welcome to the forum!! Gotta' love those Mep!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi Art...welcome! You will love TFO and Tom is right, you will soon neglect your other forums...you must be in Texas somewhere...Fort Stockton?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Those eggs must have made for a very memorable Memorial Day! Keep us posted on how they do, please. What others have you bred?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Thanx everybuddy for the warm welcome!

Danny, Yes, a very nice first except actually it's a second. She layed last year but those in the nest got 'raccooned' and the dribbled ones in the refugium molded during incubation.

Tom/Maggie, BFE is a metropolitan area compared to where I am. 1 hour east of the west coast, 1.5 hours west of the east coast, southwest of the Big "O" (Lake Okeechobee) in FL.

Tom, the temps here exceed 100 F. The refugium is in the shade and there is ALWAYS fresh water available - that's the trick... Sprinklers are employed to cool things down if it gets downright unbearable (which it does daily - if not the heat, then the mosquitoes; if not the mosquitoes, then the gnats; if not the gnats then the humidity...).

Dean, Yikes! Another infection? Er, uh, I guess you mean the comraderie, exchange and superior class of these forums -- a welcome 'infection' as it were!

Yvonne/Terry, Thank you for the warm welcome - Mep's rule! and so do Mee's, Pao's, Gc's, Pab's, Gd's, Pp's, Mt's, Ie's, Paa's, If's...

Jacqui, Indeed it was! I had been watching her for the 3 days prior and did not see her drop the eggs. I found her off of the nest on the last night & thought that it may have only been a test nest - what an effort for just a test! In fear of another raccoon visit, I tore into the nest and was pleasantly surprised by the result...

The current breeding bale includes:
G. carbonaria
G. denticulata
P. a. brygooi
P. a. arachnoides
P. planicauda
I. elongata
I. forsteni
M. e. phayrei

Near future:
M. e. emys
M. tornieri
P. a. oblonga

...and I wonder why I don't have free time...

Oh yeah, I'll get some pics together (when I have some free time!) ‡-)

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
That puts you somewhere in the neighborhood of Labelle? Or just out in Hendry County? I'm over in boring Fort Myers myself.

Welcome to the forum :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HLogic said:
The current breeding bale includes:
G. carbonaria
G. denticulata
P. a. brygooi
P. a. arachnoides
P. planicauda
I. elongata
I. forsteni
M. e. phayrei

Near future:
M. e. emys
M. tornieri
P. a. oblonga

That is an amazing list! I'm so glad you found us... or did we find you? Very much looking forward to learning about your experiences with all those torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
fhintz said:
I'm over in boring Fort Myers myself.

:D Hey, I had fun there a couple of years back, except for when I left and they decided to give me a complete search and the whole plane had to wait while they did it. :rolleyes:

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
fhintz, correct near boring-er Labelle in the hinterlands of Hendry Co.

Tom, we found each other. I actually had this site bookmarked but had not joined until now. I'm more than happy to share my experiences. I hope some value can be gleaned from them...

Jacqui, getting frisked on an airplane is no joke, getting frisky on a plane, however... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.