torts (argument about humidity for Russians)

Tort dude

Location (City and/or State)
United States
DO NOT MAKE YOUR HORSEFIELDS ENCLOSURE HUMID. IT GIVES THEM A TERRIBLE RASH ON THEIR LEGS. IT IS ALSO VERY UNHEALTHY FOR THEIR NOSTRILS AND NOSE. HOPE THIS HELPS

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
DO NOT MAKE YOUR HORSEFIELDS ENCLOSURE HUMID. IT GIVES THEM A TERRIBLE RASH ON THEIR LEGS. IT IS ALSO VERY UNHEALTHY FOR THEIR NOSTRILS AND NOSE. HOPE THIS HELPS

What evidence do you have to support this? How many cases have you seen of this happening? If you have, please link them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you need to read the care sheet for hermanns written by a knowledable hermann and other tort breeder.
You coming on here to say something like that with absolutely no proof, not enough experience and no other explanation is very damaging to hermann tortoises as you are so very wrong!
Actually, I made a mistake. I had in my head hermanns, not horsfields. Anyway, my response still stands true to horsfields too!! So read that caresheet.

Last edited:

Tort dude

United States
I think you need to read the care sheet for hermanns written by a knowledable hermann and other tort breeder.
You coming on here to say something like that with absolutely no proof, not enough experience and no other explanation is very damaging to hermann tortoises as you are so very wrong!
Actually, I made a mistake. I had in my head hermanns, not horsfields. Anyway, my response still stands true to horsfields too!! So read that caresheet.
HORSEFIELDS AND HERMANNS ALIKE LIVE IN MEDITERRANEAN WOODLANDS, VALLEYS AND FORESTS' IN MODERATELY HUMID ENVIRONMENTS. SO MY BAD ON MY PHRASING ON MY FIRST PART OF THE THREAD. I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERY ONE KNOW TO NOT KEEP THEIR HABITAT LIKE RAIN FOREST HUMID. KEEP IT AT 40-50 PERCENT HUMIDITY

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
HORSEFIELDS AND HERMANNS ALIKE LIVE IN MEDITERRANEAN WOODLANDS, VALLEYS AND FORESTS' IN MODERATELY HUMID ENVIRONMENTS. SO MY BAD ON MY PHRASING ON MY FIRST PART OF THE THREAD. I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERY ONE KNOW TO NOT KEEP THEIR HABITAT LIKE RAIN FOREST HUMID. KEEP IT AT 40-50 PERCENT HUMIDITY

It won’t hurt them to have it high as long as the temps are high enough, but you’re right, that is a good amount of humidity for them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, you still need to read the caresheet a of the experienced members. 50-70% humidity for babies. 50% is good for adults. The high humidity does not cause a rash and is not unhealthy for them if the correct temps are maintained. You really need to do more reading on this forum before just spilling out info that is not fully correct and could harm newbies tortoises.
Please read the care sheets.

Tort dude

United States
i have talked to professionals and it does cause a rash if the humidity is too high. i just want to do what their natural habitat is like

Tort dude

United States
Actually, you still need to read the caresheet a of the experienced members. 50-70% humidity for babies. 50% is good for adults. The high humidity does not cause a rash and is not unhealthy for them if the correct temps are maintained. You really need to do more reading on this forum before just spilling out info that is not fully correct and could harm newbies tortoises.
Please read the care sheets.
i am not harming torts so dont tell me i am

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
i have talked to professionals and it does cause a rash if the humidity is too high. i just want to do what their natural habitat is like

You’re talking to professionals on this forum, who are telling you the correct information. What “experts” have you talked to?
By spreading this incorrect information, you are harming other people’s tortoises when they believe you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i am not harming torts so dont tell me i am
I'm not saying you are. I'm saying your info could for newbies that see your all caps post and who may think you have the experience to know what your talking about and take your word without reading any further.
Don't get offended or offensive. Take the advice and do some reading. The members with the actual experience has written the care sheets. Your not completely wrong, but you do need to learn more yourself before screaming out incomplete info.
Your all caps post is like your screaming out the truths and your info is not all truths.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm a professional, and I have raised dozens of russians in humid enclosures, and not one single rash ever. If what you said was true, how do people in humid environments like the SouthEastern USA, keep this species without them getting a rash?

How many russian tortoises have you raised from a hatchling in a humid enclosure? How many of them got a rash?

Tort dude

United States
I'm not saying you are. I'm saying your info could for newbies that see your all caps post and who may think you have the experience to know what your talking about and take your word without reading any further.
Don't get offended or offensive. Take the advice and do some reading. The members with the actual experience has written the care sheets. Your not completely wrong, but you do need to learn more yourself before screaming out incomplete info.
Your all caps post is like your screaming out the truths and your info is not all truths.
I do have experience

Tort dude

United States
Then maybe you could tell us about that experience. The way you started this thread doesn't show any experience.
all i said was that you should not make it humid as in rain forest humid 80-90 percent. i work at a reptile store and help rescue reptiles

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
all i said was that you should not make it humid as in rain forest humid 80-90 percent. i work at a reptile store and help rescue reptiles
From our experience on this forum of many many years combined, pet stores are one of the worse places for pet advice, let alone tortoise advice.
Again, I really think you should read more caresheets and info from this forum. I don't think you have the experience or knowledge of tortoise care that you think you have.
80% humidity is recommended by an experienced Russian breeder for hatchlings specially. Humidity does not cause eye or nose problems, nor does it cause a rash. All things you gave misguided info on.
Btw, our experienced members are adults, with many years in raising and caring for tortoises.