torts (argument about humidity for Russians)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, if you think an adult tortoise/Russian can live in a 2x3 enclosure, then you really need to read more care info and reevaluate your situation. Put yourself in the torts position. You live in your bathroom or bedroom only, no other room and see how fast you go stir crazy. Because they can survive in that size doesn't mean they are thriving or that it's right!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tort dude
I am glad you are here and no one wants to make you feel bad. If I make an assertion here on the forum about tortoise care, I need to be able to back up my assertion with first hand experience and explain why what I said was true. When I started saying to raise baby sulcatas with humidity, many people on the forum said I was all wrong and they argued with me. They had been reading books and talking to experts for years and what I said was opposite of what the books, vets, breeders and "experts" had been saying for decades. Some of them asked me to explain and others just got mad and called me names and argued with anything and everything I said.

I was able to back up what I said because I had done what I was saying to do, and I knew it worked. I had also done it the way "they" were saying to do it, many times and that is how I knew they were wrong and I was right. Time and thousands of people have proven my assertions to be correct.

We want you to remain a member of this forum, contribute, have fun and learn, but I am going to ask you to not make assertions or give advice about things you have no experience with yet. You don't know what will happen to a russian tortoise raised in a humid environment because you have never done it. You also don't know what will happen when a baby is raised in an environment that is too dry, because you've never done that either. Learn from people who have done these things. Let us guide and teach you, so that you don't make the same mistakes we made, or encourage other people to make those mistakes.

AND STOP YELLING!!!! IT HURTS MY EARS!!!!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
all i said was that you should not make it humid as in rain forest humid 80-90 percent. i work at a reptile store and help rescue reptiles

I hope you will open your mind up to the great people here at the TFO ! And learn all you can . And have fun ! But please wait , learn and in 5 years you will give great advise !
By the way I have 18 years with my torts , and I’m still learning ! But most of all have fun while you learn !

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Blimey! What have I walked in on?! I have never come across humidity causing rashes.

Tort Dude there are many of us on this forum who have "been there, done that and got the T shirt" over a few decades of tortoise care. We have made the mistakes and we are anxious to ensure that others bypass the errors and just go straight to the correct way.

Torts are very tough and survive a lot of bad care, but that doesn't mean they're healthy or happy. Tom's care sheets for Russians, which include raised humidity and warm temperatures, have been shown to be accurate time and again.

And on a point of manners, block capitals are seen as SHOUTING. You convince people with reasoned, and backed-up argument and not block caps shouting people down

pillow

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
I really don't understand what went into your head when you made this thread, I'm not criticizing you, but I seriously want to know what went into your mind.
I'm 15 so I guess there's a 1 year difference between us, yet I can't understand. is it the language barrier that's making it difficult? or were you cornered so you used the "panic" Card?
or was this a simply a "troll" ?

this is my second day on the forum, and Lord... people are dammed polite here, I got so Frustrated and wanted to throw my eyes out when I saw "THE ALL CAPS" and you were very rude yet everyone was being kind and still accepted you as a member. such a polite community, honestly it looks more like a family :<3:

and btw, don't feel bad about what happened here, we all start somewhere...

Tammie

USA
From our experience on this forum of many many years combined, pet stores are one of the worse places for pet advice, let alone tortoise advice.
Again, I really think you should read more caresheets and info from this forum. I don't think you have the experience or knowledge of tortoise care that you think you have.
80% humidity is recommended by an experienced Russian breeder for hatchlings specially. Humidity does not cause eye or nose problems, nor does it cause a rash. All things you gave misguided info on.
Btw, our experienced members are adults, with many years in raising and caring for tortoises.
Really! I don’t think I have ever been so disappointed in all you adults! Let’s say he is 14 he did give some advice that may be incorrect. BTW ; too much humidity on humans or animals or reptile can cause rash or most likely yeast infection. The incorrect answer was how much humidity all you “experts” were talking about. With that said: if he is 14 and your an adult expert encourage him be positive be a role model. But just chopped him off at the knees. He is the future to successful reptile keeping when we’re gone. And I am a medical professional 30 plus years infectious disease / Air and ground Transport, Neonatal development and there is not one day that goes by that I don’t learn something from someone ... So I hope he continues to read learn research and inspire others... Thank you all I learn on here everyday...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Really! I don’t think I have ever been so disappointed in all you adults! Let’s say he is 14 he did give some advice that may be incorrect. BTW ; too much humidity on humans or animals or reptile can cause rash or most likely yeast infection. The incorrect answer was how much humidity all you “experts” were talking about. With that said: if he is 14 and your an adult expert encourage him be positive be a role model. But just chopped him off at the knees. He is the future to successful reptile keeping when we’re gone. And I am a medical professional 30 plus years infectious disease / Air and ground Transport, Neonatal development and there is not one day that goes by that I don’t learn something from someone ... So I hope he continues to read learn research and inspire others... Thank you all I learn on here everyday...
I think you need to back up here. I in no way attacked him. I didn't even know her was a kid until another member stated so.
everyone has been very polite to this member! I'm not going to just poo poo his wrong info so more tortoises can be cared for improperly.
I think you need to reread the posts and check your own attitude!

Tammie

USA
Lol... this is the difference between having a real conversation in person and writing a conversation. We can’t read attitude and we misunderstand accents. I said we because I mean myself as well. When I saw the all caps I thought he was trying to get a point across or attitude as well. But when someone said he was 14 I then went back and read his post again. My kids always write in Caps and I tell them as well people take it in a negative way. But , unlike others I don’t think he was “telling lies” to mislead people. He most likely heard that info and was just passing it on trying to help someone. And what he said technically was not incorrect. I have read info on here from experts that weren’t totally true but I don’t think they were telling a lie. It’s what they believe. We learn everyday what we thought was true is really not. Just like Brain ( the snake ) guy said: he’s been breeding for 29 yrs things they did yrs ago like UVB they now realize was wrong. I was so frustrated when I first started rescue turtles and tortoise because I would read this and that and this person says this and that person says no. I have even had vets tell me things that turned out to not be true. So sorry if I came across that I was having an attitude I just felt bad when I read he was 14.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@Tammie I don’t think people would have been as direct if he hadn’t posted several threads about hot button topics in the very short time he has been a member (housing torts together; small enclosures are “just fine;” references to a tortoise owner on another site who raises his tortoises with different methods than encouraged here; etc. Often in not polite terms. He also became an expert on other topics seemingly overnight.

Your assessment is excellent, this absolutely could be a teenager picking up bad information. But the behavior might also mark him as a troll. I am not saying he is either, just that his behavior has been unusual. I’m not sure why anyone would troll a tortoise forum (wut?) but people do. I actually think this is a pretty easy forum to troll for reasons similar to what you’ve mentioned: so many people come in with bad information and unhealthy tortoises that members will respond to just about anything hoping to help the animal. Some with patience and some with urgency. It was one of the first things I noticed about this forum.

Make a post saying your three German Shepards love your tortoise and you’ll see what I mean! I mentioned this in another thread yesterday, it’s like going into a parent forum and announcing you don’t vaccinate your child. Immediate and strong response! :)

Tammie

USA
Wow. So sorry I didn’t see or know any of that information. Now it makes sense. I’ve never responded or been on a forum before. I would read them but never felt the need to write because I’m learning as well and I’m just now starting to see results of how I raise mine. I’ve learned a lot from this form . I was told at the beginning of my reptile keeping from a very popular youtube tortoise rescue that a little pyramiding is ok. I didn’t even know what pyramiding was at the time. I started reading about it and thought really that’s like saying a little bit of cancer is ok. I would read and Read and Read about cause and cure and would get so frustrated until I read about it on this form from a member named Tom. And he had photos for proof . So I have been implementing the same on my hatchlings. So far so good.
So if he is 14 maybe he can be roped in with this forum be a mentor for him. If he is a troll ( is that a adult just trying to start trouble or something) maybe he’ll leave. I will go and read that article you mentioned. Thanks for the info. Is there a way I can see all the post people post on here before I start feeling bad for them. Now I can see you guys had just had enough of him and I read just those last few post. So sorry about that...

Tort dude

United States
i am done with this forum this was a very bad experience. i am sorry for the false info and caps. you guys have not helped me at all

Tammie

USA
@Tort dude Are you 14? Are you trying to learn or are you just bored and sitting around spreading info and trying to get negative attention. If you want to leave pouting and not learn and do what’s best for your animals that’s your choice. Don’t write a post saying “ you guys didn’t help me at all!” If you didn’t get knowledge from members on here with years under their belts that’s no one fault but your own. If you want to succeed in life you need to make things right start over on here find a mentor you trust watch what you say do your research and be positive. Now that I went and read your other post and understand a little more if your 14 you need to grow up learn to play well with others and if people. Thought to live by: making mistakes is better than FAKING perfection. If your 14 I hope you change your mind and stay and learn and be the future reptile expert your children and grandchildren can learn from. If your a troll ; you must be a “ stable genius “ too...

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Is there a way I can see all the post people post on here before I start feeling bad for them. Now I can see you guys had just had enough of him and I read just those last few post. So sorry about that...

You can check their profile page, it has a history of all their posts but I wouldn’t go doing that right off, especially since you’re new. There are MANY new members who visit, post a lot of questions, and then don’t like what they hear. Some stay and learn; some don’t.

And I don’t think people have had enough, per se; just frustrated.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
i am done with this forum this was a very bad experience. i am sorry for the false info and caps. you guys have not helped me at all

I’m sorry to hear that. I saw you learned pretty quick about the caps; I appreciate that you made that change.

Most of us made a lot of mistakes before we joined the forum. I was upset with some of the answers I got when I started and had to work through it. Maybe you will, too.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Leaving in a huff does nothing to help your tortoises. What you need to do is listen to what the experienced members have to say, and make the appropriate changes to your care. Its okay that you thought that humidity was bad for them, there is a lot of incorrect information out there - but it's not okay to ignore suggestions made by people with your tortoises best interests in mind.

Please don't leave. It's your tortoises who will suffer from your stubbornness to change their care.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I notice the only people that leave are the ones that were proven wrong.
So, you were wrong. Stay and turn that around to being right. If you didn't get a question answered, ask it again in a nice way and without throwing out info as if you are the know all to end all.
If you love your tortoise, like we all think you do, you will stick around and learn all the right things for him.
We can help you out in a lt of ways. Even how to build a bigger enclosure with little or no money. If you leave, when you actually calm down and maybe mature a bit, you will realize you were wrong and did the wrong thing by leaving.