Torts I got at the show today

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Got me another 1.3 kinixys spekii to add to the group. So I have a nice assurance group started of 6.7 now
20130223_125046_zps5b5a0ad6.jpg

A baby indotestudo Forstenii
20130223_134802_zpsca701793.jpg

My male Kenyan leopard Ive been waiting for the show to pick him up.
20130223_125228_zps5585ab12.jpg

Another female pancake (younger specimen this time though)
20130223_125108_zpscaf1552e.jpg

And another Guyana female redfoot but I forgot to take her photo :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The kinixys and pancake I will for about 6 months. The leo was already paired with this female so he seemed healthy enough. The forsten is in its own setup anyways so. Usually 6 months or less if they show good stool and appetite and activity.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Ah. I just was wondering because you only mentioned the male leopard and he was pictured with another, so I was curious...Always wondering how long folks quarantine their new torts.
Still nice torts :)!
The speck's are gorgeous, have you had any luck getting babies from them?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks Ed and Barb :D

The very old speks do lay regularly in mid to late summer. Last year was a bust though. Each egg got broken after laid. Was a sad sad day. This summer I would hope the same results not to happen.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
tortadise said:
Thanks Ed and Barb :D

The very old speks do lay regularly in mid to late summer. Last year was a bust though. Each egg got broken after laid. Was a sad sad day. This summer I would hope the same results not to happen.

Do you have an iPhone? Maybe you need a camera on them, and just check it on your iPhone :). Then you know when they're laying, hehe....https://www.dropcam.com/
Like this. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have an super phone something or another. I have cameras in the works for the facilities to use the ap to watch. Having as many torts that I do sometimes a little baby tort will just be walking around in a pen or just easier to notice the nocturnal breeders to make sure fertility is up. Ive actually found quite a few of my species breed when I dont see them after hours.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
tortadise said:
I have an super phone something or another. I have cameras in the works for the facilities to use the ap to watch. Having as many torts that I do sometimes a little baby tort will just be walking around in a pen or just easier to notice the nocturnal breeders to make sure fertility is up. Ive actually found quite a few of my species breed when I dont see them after hours.

Yeah, when you keep as many species as you do it mush be difficult to keep track of....
There are nocturnal breeders? What species are those? Just seems odd...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
" SUPER SHOPPER" ..... Woo HOO..... very nice Kelly! ... Lucky torts too boot! ......Looking forward for the stories to come.

JD~:)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks JD. The platynota i only see breed at night as well as the central american wood turtles and all the yellow foots.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I find that interesting ...." the time thing" ... 99% of the time My Reds N Cherries only lay in the evening ..but just yesterday ...I caught momma hypo " gema" nesting and by 11:am .....4 nice eggs!

Possibly the time change we're approaching....?

It would make sense for species of any kind to nest at night for the fact of not being spotted and the nest robbed ..eh?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah it is interesting. My sulcata, 10 years she has been laying has never laid before 11 p.m always on a full moon or new moon and right before a storm. Ive been looking into weather instrument that calculates pressure in the immediate environment and see if any relevance or patterns play a role. Its totally different per species too when they lay and what the weather or conditions is like outside.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
N2TORTS said:
I find that interesting ...." the time thing" ... 99% of the time My Reds N Cherries only lay in the evening ..but just yesterday ...I caught momma hypo " gema" nesting and by 11:am .....4 nice eggs!

Possibly the time change we're approaching....?

It would make sense for species of any kind to nest at night for the fact of not being spotted and the nest robbed ..eh?

My redfoots usually start nesting late in the afternoon and goes into the night. It works well for me so I can spot them when I get home from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.