Torts in the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I had been hoping to have a barn, with stalls and individual corrals for the boys to lounge in this winter. (Yup, old cowgirl!)

We got the pond finished, but not the barn. So I'm hoping to improve on the boys Tupperware box winter homes from last year.

Show me how you do it!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well where are you at? If in southern region you can design many different ways. The issues with really cold winters is too high of dimensional walls. No need to heat space that is not used by the torts. Another is the size of the torts. My biggens have a door they can ram open if they want to go out and get winter sun, then retreat back in if desired. I put a lot of effort and construction into my tortoises facilities. I like to go big or go home as I say it to myself when building. Lol. But a huge barn or building isn't really needed unless in areas with long very cols winters. Also the species as well. Lots of Rubbermaid products made for garden equipment makes good "barns" for medium sized winter housing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How large is your sully? Do you have more then just the one sully and one Russian that is listed? The big plastic totes can be cut and joined together to make one big one. You can join as many as needed.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I'm in southern Oregon, when I say barn and stall I mean in relative size ;)

Oscar is a large Russian, and Tank is my stunted sully who is only slightly bigger.

They've been in boxes at night, so I can expand those for the winter. Just hoping to find inspiration ;-)

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
Where in southern oregon are you, I'm in central point. I just built a 32x32 pen for my little guy for next summer and an indoor (in a room on our carport) 3.5x7' winter home. Can't wait to see what you come up with for your guys.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Just a but north of you, I'm trying to talk hubby outta some garage space ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.