Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
I love my tortoises dearly and they make me laugh and sometimes make me cry. I think I spend more time, money and worry on them then my other animals... that being said, if I were forced to choose between a dog or a tortoise as my only animal there is no competition, the dog would win.

DITTO

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I love my tortoises dearly, but there is no comparison between reptiles and mammals. Mammals are smarter, more active, and capable of much stronger social bonds than reptiles. That's the whole point of being a mammal; all that extra food goes to fueling a warmer body that has enough energy for all those things.

Dogs, in particular, are quite special. They were the first animals to be domesticted at least 14,000 years ago, and perhaps a lot earlier than that. Since then, humans and dogs have been living together, working together, hunting together, and playing together. No other animal has such a profound relationship with humanity as a species.

As I said, I love keeping tortoises, and I think they are wonderful creatures. But they are no substitute for dogs.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I love my tortoises dearly, but there is no comparison between reptiles and mammals. Mammals are smarter, more active, and capable of much stronger social bonds than reptiles. That's the whole point of being a mammal; all that extra food goes to fueling a warmer body that has enough energy for all those things.

Dogs, in particular, are quite special. They were the first animals to be domesticted at least 14,000 years ago, and perhaps a lot earlier than that. Since then, humans and dogs have been living together, working together, hunting together, and playing together. No other animal has such a profound relationship with humanity as a species.

As I said, I love keeping tortoises, and I think they are wonderful creatures. But they are no substitute for dogs.

This. I love my Sheldon dearly, but a dog would love me just as much, if not more. That kind of loyalty and love that a dog gives you is something you can't get from any other animal. Rescue cats come close.

HonuFonu23

5 Year Member
Glendale, AZ
nicoleandrocky said:
aww! that is soo sweet :'(
i feel like it's not a matter of dogs are better or torts its the personality of the human and the pet, and the connection between the two.

You pretty much said it for me. I love turtles/torts and I've had a few over the past 20 years (granted they were all turtles). But I've also had dogs as well. I love all of my pets unconditionally. My dog passed away from sarcoma cancer a year ago.. he was 11. I miss him dearly.. miss taking him on walks and taking him for car rides.

And my dog was pretty much the vacuum cleaner as well. If I dropped some food all I had to do was yell his name. And bam, dropped food was not wasted! Didn't mind cleaning up after my dogs either. If you get a pet you pretty much have accepted being fully responsible for it (common sense really). Same with turtles/torts. Love your pets and they will return the love back.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well I have one dog and one tortoise... I love them both, they are both full of character and very friendly (I would almost say my tortoise is more friendly than my dog). But when I am ill my dog will always come and give me lot of cuddles and make sure I am ok ( but I have had her for over 10 and a half years!)

I don't think one is better than the other, dogs are far more cuddly I have to say, but you can't beat the determination of a tortoise!
No question it has to be both for me! I hope I will always have at least one of each!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
DanaLachney said:
Well I wouldn't say tortoises were cheaper per say but alot more interesting. My dog is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.
Joe butts the vacuum cleaner given the opportunity. He's probably attempt to mate with it if I left him * sigh *

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
lol I can't say that i've had any experience with that, I always put ayden in his pen before i vacuum.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Talka said:
This. I love my Sheldon dearly, but a dog would love me just as much, if not more. That kind of loyalty and love that a dog gives you is something you can't get from any other animal. Rescue cats come close.

Yes, cats are also wonderful animals. They do form bonds with people, and can be very affectionate. They are great. Nevertheless, dogs are still unique in the animal kingdom for how compatible they are with humanity as companions and workmates.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
mira_kaylee said:
lol I can't say that i've had any experience with that, I always put ayden in his pen before i vacuum.
It's a good way of finding him if he's in the garden. Take the vacuum outside and turn it on... he makes a beeline for it! The lawnmower has the same effect, but is more hassle to get out :D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I have two dogs and one tortoise. I also have fish and african clawed frogs. I never would have thought I would love my tortoise betty as much as I love my dogs. I do love her though. I wouldn't ever want to be without all of my animals since I love them all.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Everyone seems to have a different opinion of what a "pet" is, so I generally avoid the term altogether if I can. I say, "I keep tortoises" or "I have a dog."

The dog is a companion animal.
The tortoise (and other reptiles) are a hobby, similar to keeping aquariums or a garden.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
I have 2 dogs ( one is only a 2 month old puppy which we got 2 days ago ) and 3 torts and I love all of them the same!! I always say, my older dog bailey, is my best friend and my loyal companion and my torts are my life long friends cause they sure will be around all my life :)

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I don't really think of my tortoises as pets. I view them as wild animals that just happen to live in my backyard. Not to say I don't have feelings for them, but I certainly don't interact with them on the same level as I do with my stupid cat.
IMG_0040.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Both chelonians and dogs are my two favorite living beings on this earth, so this is a great thread for me. My two dogs are my friends, my family, and they own my heart. I love them dearly. They bring my happiness, laughter, joy, friendship and company. My gulf coast box turtle (no tortoise yet) and also my blue tongued skink as well bring me joy alsol but in a different way. I enjoy making them happy, doing my best to provide the best environment I can, and seeing them thrive. I love animals in nature, and reptiles bring more of that to me than my dogs do. It's just different. If I were forced to choose, I have to say I would choose dogs. But it would be an immense sacrifice for me. I love reptiles of all kinds, but especially the shelled ones.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I guess if you are looking for a friend then a dog might be what you want but i see it more as a companion sort of deal. I talk to my tortoise all the time XD I talk to him all the time (before I had a tort then I called it talking to myself lol)

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Tom said:
Non-tortoise people just don't "get it". Sad, but true. That's why I LOVE this forum. Because its full of other nut-jobs and we can all relate. :D

I love dogs too, but they are just different. They do different things for me and fulfill different roles. None of my tortoises are going to take down a bad guy who tries to harm me or my family. On the other hand, my tortoises do require a lot less work than my dogs...
They are both great.

If I was forced to choose just one, I would sic my dogs on the person trying to force me to choose and then bury their body in my tortoise pen to fertilize the weeds. :)
hahaha great idea!! :D

Talka said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:

The thing I don't like is how short of a life a dog has... 10-20 years? that SUCKS... torts will out live you and will/can be your best friend for you entire life... that said I would NOT pick between ANY of my pets... they all have their own place in my heart and home now and forever ;)

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I can't imagine living without my mammals or my reptiles, and I have quite a few of both. It is about the same thing as asking; "Would you rather give up your wife or your kids?" They are definitely not the same, but they both have infinite value to me.

EKLC

5 Year Member
A tortoise can be just as much as a friend as a dog. Actually, most of my human friends don't snuggle up to me like a dog would, and we're still close.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As much as I love my tortoises they don't hold a candle to my dog or any other dog Dogs have been working with people in all varieties of jobs for thousands of years. Ask any K9 officer they can tel you how great dogs are, ask any soldier whose life was saved by a dog they will tell you, they hunt for people buried in buildings, they find and track missing people, the list goes on and on. IMHO it is not a fair comparison to each other. tortoises and dogs and cats fill different levels of friendship in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.