torts vs. dogs as pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Emrys is one of my closest companions. So much personality. He's a fantastic pet. I will only ever have one pet - to me, that bond is important. I know a lot of people see tortoises as a hobby more than a pet, and I think I'd be the same if I had more than one. It'd be a keeper or breeder experience, not a companion one. I suppose a lot of it depends on HOW you keep and interact with them.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
GeoTerraTestudo said:
StudentoftheReptile said:
The dog is a companion animal.
The tortoise (and other reptiles) are a hobby, similar to keeping aquariums or a garden.

There ya go.

I don't see my turtles as a hobby. They are living breathing creatures that I care about. Hobby is not the right word!

dmmj said:
As much as I love my tortoises they don't hold a candle to my dog or any other dog Dogs have been working with people in all varieties of jobs for thousands of years. Ask any K9 officer they can tel you how great dogs are, ask any soldier whose life was saved by a dog they will tell you, they hunt for people buried in buildings, they find and track missing people, the list goes on and on. IMHO it is not a fair comparison to each other. tortoises and dogs and cats fill different levels of friendship in my life.

Exactly!!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
BrookeB said:
The thing I don't like is how short of a life a dog has... 10-20 years? that SUCKS... torts will out live you and will/can be your best friend for you entire life... that said I would NOT pick between ANY of my pets... they all have their own place in my heart and home now and forever ;)

Yes, I also find it very odd that dogs are Man's Best Friend, and yet live only ~1/5th as long as we do, while tortoises - although adorable - are far less interactive, and yet often live almost as long as we do, and sometimes even longer. One of life's cruel jokes, I suppose.

lisa127 said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
StudentoftheReptile said:
The dog is a companion animal.
The tortoise (and other reptiles) are a hobby, similar to keeping aquariums or a garden.

There ya go.

I don't see my turtles as a hobby. They are living breathing creatures that I care about. Hobby is not the right word!

Good point. They are not only alive, but also sentient animals that deserve some of our attention. Moreover, they do interact with us to a degree, and we can become attached to them. They are not companion animals, but not a hobby, either. They are simply pets. :)

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Saying that a dog is a companion and reptiles are no different than keeping plants is a loaded statement. There's no definitive answer to this question because it all depends on the owner. Some people think tortoises and other reptile pets are "boring" and non-interactive, but I like their serenity. Plus, I personally think dogs require more attention than I can give in both training and day to day care, and can be on the destructive side. It doesn't help that I always seem to date guys that are allergic to animal fur. I'm not saying a torts are "easy" pets, and dogs have certainly proven their value over the millenia, but different people simply prefer different animal companions.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Glasswalker said:
Saying that a dog is a companion and reptiles are no different than keeping plants is a loaded statement. There's no definitive answer to this question because it all depends on the owner. Some people think tortoises and other reptile pets are "boring" and non-interactive, but I like their serenity. Plus, I personally think dogs require more attention than I can give in both training and day to day care, and can be on the destructive side. It doesn't help that I always seem to date guys that are allergic to animal fur. I'm not saying a torts are "easy" pets, and dogs have certainly proven their value over the millenia, but different people simply prefer different animal companions.

I definetely understand what you are saying. I adore dogs. I've never been without them in my life and I have a great respect for them as a species. Literally, I've lived with them since the day I was born. I live with two now. And even as much as I love dogs, there are days they just get to me and I think I just can't live with them anymore (but I made a commitment and they are here to stay). But to tell the truth, I think that about my 18 and 17 year old daughters quite often as well....and God knows how much I love them! You know dogs require more attention and care than you feel you can provide and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people don't have human children because they feel that way and there is nothing wrong with that. I also understand liking the serenity of chelonians. Because it's the exact reason I love them! Our lives are too complicated. Their lives are peaceful and serene....the way I wish mine could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.