Tortstork Made History!

SweetGreekTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Just an update on Kapeka...

She's eating like horse and pooping like an elephant. Weighed in at a hefty 23 grams after her soak this morning!

She also now has a roommate who arrived just this morning. Her own sister! The clutch was 4 eggs, all incubated to be females. I received one egg while the breeder kept and hatched the other 3. One if them came out very black in color and when the breeder decided to sell her, I snatched her up.

So now I have 2 females, clutch sisters, to add to my Russian Tortoise breeding colony when they are big enough.

I named the sister "Nikita" and some pictures if her are below. In the duo photo, Kapeka is on the left.20180823_102015.jpegIMG_20180823_103014.jpegFB_IMG_1533168225106.jpeg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
What a great thread This is so fun!!!:<3:
Thanks for sharing!
And your babies look FABULOUS, and i'm really impressed with how VIGOROUS Kapeka has been from the start!! :cool:
Do you pronounce her name Kah-pay-kah? or Kah-pee-kah? or something else? @irishkitty

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
What a great thread This is so fun!!!:<3:
Thanks for sharing!
And your babies look FABULOUS, and i'm really impressed with how VIGOROUS Kapeka has been from the start!! :cool:
Do you pronounce her name Kah-pay-kah? or Kah-pee-kah? or something else? @irishkitty
Her name is pronounced "ka-pee-ah-ka." Like there's a hidden "a" before the second "k." I don't speak Russian so I had to look it up online and found a link that spoke it for me :)

Thanks! They are absolute sweethearts. I love all my shelled babies [emoji173]

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Kapeka and Nikita. These two sisters crack me up! They do have their own basking spots, but sometimes nap together. Too cute!20180903_071816.jpeg20180905_164420.jpegIMG_20180905_181606_801.jpeg20180907_100515.jpeg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
The two Russian sisters continue to grow steadily and thrive. I have them in separate enclosures since Nikita was trailing just a little in size; she's been doing much better and putting on weight while having her own space.

Kapeka, the girl that hatched on the way over to me from Tortstork is 34g today.

Nikita is 25g.

Both girls are 2 months and 26 days old.PicsArt_10-26-07.19.12.jpegPicsArt_10-26-07.20.44.jpeg

TortMom6

Citrus Heights, California, USA
First, hatching seems like a LOT of work. Super glad that I didn't have to do it.

Next, I am a little confused over this Mazuri Mix thing. I have Mazuri, but it is a pellet, not the yummy looking mush. Am I missing something here.
I there a recipe? How is it made? Help? My Greek tortoise baby is looking like at me all accusingly like "you gave me this pellet thing, when I could have had that!"

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
First, hatching seems like a LOT of work. Super glad that I didn't have to do it.

Next, I am a little confused over this Mazuri Mix thing. I have Mazuri, but it is a pellet, not the yummy looking mush. Am I missing something here.
I there a recipe? How is it made? Help? My Greek tortoise baby is looking like at me all accusingly like "you gave me this pellet thing, when I could have had that!"
I soak Mazuri in warm water to soften it, then I stir it around to create the mush you see in my photos. Sometimes I serve it plain, sometimes I add small pieces of dark leafy greens into it for something different. All my babies chow it down either way.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Kapeka is growing flawlessly! Almost 4.5 months old now.

Her sister, Nikita, is also thriving better now since she was given her own space (proof that tortoises don't always get along in pairs, even when they are babies). I'll post an updated pic of her soon. She's already in bed for the night...IMG_20181211_172201_292.jpeg