Torty Rescuer Needs Housing Help

Tortytoes Gma

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Torty.jpg Hello all. My daughter rescued a Sulcata from her neighbor who was not feeding it then moved away and left it. He is a sweet, 45-50lb Sulcata that we named Tortytoes. Unfortunately, her yard and very large dogs were not a good fit with the tortoise so he has come to live with me. I have him on a good sleeping and eating schedule and he seems happy and relaxed and has figured out he likes to come inside once a day for a walk! We originally planned to find a good home for him but I have fallen in love with the kiddo and hate to bounce him somewhere else.

I currently have him housed in a dog house at night with a zoopad and a regular heating pad on the roof covered with an emergency (foil) blanket and towel to keep the heat in. The door is covered at night. We have a remote thermometer to monitor and keep his house between 68 and 72 degrees at night,. All is working well but he needs a bigger space for those days he can't go outside.

I am converting a Little Tikes playhouse so I can set up heating lamps and a bigger space for wet cold days. I have everything worked out except the heating. I would like to get a reliable and affordable unit that will turn on and off as needed and stay in a preset (by me) range. I would appreciate recommendations. Thank you in advance.

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! Have you checked out the sulcata care and enclosure info tabs? There is a lot of great info there. Most here will recommend that you build an enclosure, that way you can guarantee it will be insulated well enough to ensure proper temps.

Also, your big guy needs his beak trimmed down. A vet would be able to do this, or @Yvonne G has some helpful tips to donit at home.

What a lucky guy he is to have found you and your daughter!

Tortytoes Gma

San Diego
Welcome! Have you checked out the sulcata care and enclosure info tabs? There is a lot of great info there. Most here will recommend that you build an enclosure, that way you can guarantee it will be insulated well enough to ensure proper temps.

Also, your big guy needs his beak trimmed down. A vet would be able to do this, or @Yvonne G has some helpful tips to donit at home.

What a lucky guy he is to have found you and your daughter!
Thank you, Melis. I'll check there.

Last edited by a moderator: