Tracking Michael

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
For those of you who aren't all that familiar with hurricanes, one of the indicators of how bad a hurricane is, is the barometric pressure inside the eye of the storm. The lower it is, the worse it is. If you ever hear that a hurricane's pressure has dropped or is dropping, it usually means that storm is about to intensify and get even worse.

Anecdotally, another indicator of hurricane intensity, or anticipated intensity, is how excited the meteorologists get when they're talking about it. It may also correlate with the number of four-letter words being uttered by emergency management personnel. :p

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The relative we were visiting just over a week ago in Panama City has a few auto dealerships. They were severely damaged. He has a multi million dollar antique and vintage car collection in an adjacent building and he has not been allowed back in the city yet to assess the damage. Most building there have at least some damage, a great many totally destroyed. A local hospital was destroyed. I'm afraid of what he will find when he is allowed to return. They don't expect power restored for quite some time...
I'm sorry I don't have any/more information for you. I spent 8+ hrs. at the state EOC yesterday, and we were so busy just trying to keep up with all the requests coming in, that I didn't get a chance to come up for air, much less catch up on broader situational awareness.

I'm trying to think if there's anywhere online that would have recon or damage assessment photos/info publically available. I looked at the Bay County website, and it looks like you have to subscribe to their service to receive or otherwise access information regarding road closures, etc.

If you know a good GIS person, I may have a suggestion or two (but certainly no guarantees) on where to go looking online.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Did we have any TFO members affected by Hurricane Michael? Does anyone know?

It hit an area of Florida that isn't really well covered by an established herp society.

I'm wondering if there's an unmet need and if there's anything we can do to assist our fellow turtle and tortoise keepers in the affected area.