• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Well this was a first. I had a customer call today and want to trade a gocart for a tortoise. Anyway, I know alot of folks trade, etc. How many of you prefer to trade and/or sell/purchase your tortoises. I have had folks want to trade all types of other reptiles, but this gocart was a first. I always decline on any trades, unless it was for a adult aldabra, the it's a go!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
For me anyways it would depend on if it was something I need and or wanted, and what the value is.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I voted sell/purchase. Trading has its place and I wouldn't rule it out, but it would be a definate "NO" under the circumstances you described.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I would love to trade tortoises...but Im not a fan of shipping. Im shipping a tortoise to Missouri next week..Im so nervous. I totally understand you Aldabraman...eventhough I would save up my pennies to buy a baby from you.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Depends on value...for instance, I'm currently looking after 13 "orphan" Burmese pythons and would still likely be looking after 19 if I hadn't traded some off for a cyclura, a video camera and a .38 S&W.

Truthfully, I'd probably trade the rest off even cheaper, as we haven't put one of our roosters on the table in months!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tortuga_terrestre said:
I would love to trade tortoises...but Im not a fan of shipping. Im shipping a tortoise to Missouri next week..Im so nervous. I totally understand you Aldabraman...eventhough I would save up my pennies to buy a baby from you.
Thank you. The shipping thing, I struggle with it, however with the volume we are producing it would be of value, I am sure. +/- .....?

Terry Allan Hall said:
Depends on value...for instance, I'm currently looking after 13 "orphan" Burmese pythons and would still likely be looking after 19 if I hadn't traded some off for a cyclura, a video camera and a .38 S&W.

Truthfully, I'd probably trade the rest off even cheaper, as we haven't put one of our roosters on the table in months!

That is truely great!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Trading usually makes me feel kinda dirty---it feels to me like going from treating the animal as a living thing, to something more kin to a Pokemon card. In all my years of collecting geckos, snakes, torts etc I have only done one trade, to a woman that I knew, not just a random online.

I would shy away from doing a trade with someone that seems to do A LOT of trading. That sort of pattern seems to suggest that the person gets bored with a species easily, and then just wants to ship them off for the next new thing.

So I vote purchase/sell outright, though I do think that under the proper circumstances, trades can be successful transactions.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ALDABRAMAN said:

Terry Allan Hall said:

That is truely great!

What would be truly great would be for AC to not have to confiscate Burms or find "dumped" ones, because very few of us "foster homes" have any room left...and only about 1/3 of the ones I currently have came w/ cages, so I've gotten to be a fair carpenter.

A veternarian buddy is looking into how to neuter pythons, assuming it might be feasible to do so, because too many get bought when they're cute and tiny but dumped or kept in terrible conditions when they grow up...and a 28" Burm can reach 14' in less than two years, and often do.

The only other option is euthanizing them (and sick ones are frequently put down immediately, nowdays), but I really hate to do that.

Was talking w/ a sulcata "foster" recently and he's going through the same issues...too many need homes, not enough people think about how that little walnut-sized cutie will eventually weigh 100+ lbs and will be capable of a surprising amount of destruction!

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
i have traded for things. usually to buddies who wanted some of my hatchlings and didn't have the cash. I have traded snakes for guns, bows, HD LCD TV's, Blue Ray players....etc etc.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would prefer to trade more than anything. How many leopards for an aldabra?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Neal said:
I would prefer to trade more than anything. How many leopards for an aldabra?

ROTFLMMFAO!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Edna said it exactly how I would.

However, the stuff TAH got in trade is making me reconsider. :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've traded several times in the past-but only tortoises for tortoises (or turtles). If someone offers me a species that I am interested in for myself, or know of someone who would be interested, I'll trade. I've never traded a tortoise or turtle for anything else. I tend to keep my interests seperate from each other. Motorcycles for motorcycles, woodworking tools for woodworking tools and tortoises for tortoises!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I traded a male DT for a female, only because I thought it was a good deal for both of us, as well as the animals.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Shelly said:
I traded a male DT for a female, only because I thought it was a good deal for both of us, as well as the animals.

That is probably the only time I would trade also,
My torts are very personal to me, and I get too attached to them to trade them, but I wouldn't sell them either.

I have put some into adoption but only the people I know and trust, and on the condition that they bring them in before and after hibernation to check on their health.

I have recently took 2 back as the guy I work with promised to make them a proper pen, but he hasn't and they just wander around on a balcony all day. NOT HAPPY!! I haven't told the hubby yet.:D:D

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I traded a root canal for a big male sulcata a few years back....

I had to get a root canal done, and after my dental insurance covered only a small part, I had to pay something like $700-800 for the process. I wrote them a check as I went in. The doctors name was "Dr. Fife." I asked him if he was related the Fifes in AZ. He wasn't, and asked who they were. I said they were just some tortoise breeder friends of mine, and the conversation got started. The doctor said he had been wanting a large tortoise for his yard. He asked what a big tortoise would sell for, and when he could come get one. I told him to tear up that check I just wrote, and we had a deal. He was glad to. I had a spare male sulcata I was debating what to do with, so it fit what he was looking for exactly. He and his family (with several kids) came over a few days later, got the tour, and left happy with Tortoise Supply t-shirts and a 80ish pound sulcata. I'd do it again tomorrow if the opportunity came around!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
TylerStewart said:
I traded a root canal for a big male sulcata a few years back....

I had to get a root canal done, and after my dental insurance covered only a small part, I had to pay something like $700-800 for the process. I wrote them a check as I went in. The doctors name was "Dr. Fife." I asked him if he was related the Fifes in AZ. He wasn't, and asked who they were. I said they were just some tortoise breeder friends of mine, and the conversation got started. The doctor said he had been wanting a large tortoise for his yard. He asked what a big tortoise would sell for, and when he could come get one. I told him to tear up that check I just wrote, and we had a deal. He was glad to. I had a spare male sulcata I was debating what to do with, so it fit what he was looking for exactly. He and his family (with several kids) came over a few days later, got the tour, and left happy with Tortoise Supply t-shirts and a 80ish pound sulcata. I'd do it again tomorrow if the opportunity came around!

This one probably wins for the best tortoise trade in history!

How about I audit your financial statements for a pair of pancake tortoises?

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would never sell my tortoises or trade them - I don't breed them so that's easy to make the decision.

However, when I do produce snakes I am offered all kinds of trades as well. Usually I am not looking to take on anything new unless it's something I really want. For example, I just sold a few snakes and the only trade I would have considered was trades for tortoises lol.

Does that mean I have the 'brain eating tort desease'?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Neal said:
How about I audit your financial statements for a pair of pancake tortoises?

No thanks, I'm good. Remember, I'm still hiding from the government. I don't need to attract any red flags by having people look at my financials. Obama might think I have some money and come after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.