Transporting Tortoise In Freezing Weather?

Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
I have an 8 month old eastern hermanns that I need to drive to my parents so they can watch him when I go on a 4 day trip next week. This was not a problem in the summer but it is so cold here where I live, I mean like 18 degrees F. I’m worried about even transporting him from my house to the car and that the car wont be warm enough on the 40 minute drive. The weather is bone chilling will he be ok , any tips on transporting ? Here is a picture of Rex also does his shell look ok ? I think it’s just growth lines he’s/ she getting so big...

972A1D03-0EAF-4354-996E-CF074060AA24.jpeg

Domm

PA
I think I’ve heard of this for hunting to put in gloves, do I put it in his enclosure or in a little box with the hot hands to the side not touching him?

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
The few times I've needed to transport mine I crank the heat and seat warmer.

Domm

PA
For four days, with timers on your lights, could you not leave him where he is and get a neighbour to pop in?

I do have the Bluetooth outlets so I can turn them off remotely with my phone. I just worry because he‘s so little I tend to him all day, he always needs new water and stuff :(

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got my Greek a small, warm, soft sided carrier that’s meant for transporting hamsters and guinea pigs. I’m taking ours with us on a trip and am planning on using the hot hands or a heating pad underneath the carrier. The soft carrier fits inside a wooden crate with lots of space between the slats for air transfer (ikea purchase) in case of a car accident. I need to test it out and see how many and what type of heat keeps the temperature correct.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Timers & thermostats & a remote cam are all made for this! Heck, 4 days is really nothing. Seems more stressful moving, driving.....then setting up an enclosure at new spot, then returning a few days later? Soak your tortoise well the day you depart, add plenty of food, remove your water dish so theres no chance of drowning. A 40 minute drive really isnt that bad if you spot something out of whack.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Timers & thermostats & a remote cam are all made for this! Heck, 4 days is really nothing. Seems more stressful moving, driving.....then setting up an enclosure at new spot, then returning a few days later? Soak your tortoise well the day you depart, add plenty of food, remove your water dish so theres no chance of drowning. A 40 minute drive really isnt that bad if you spot something out of whack.
Happy Birthday ? ?

Domm

PA

I don’t think it will be ok for 4 days without water he/she is always chugging from the water bowl....I do have a pet cam set up on the enclosure though its really cool! And the transport to where my turtle sitter is , is only 40 minutes away but I’ll be three hours away on my trip. Have you left yours for that long when it was younger or just older?

Domm

PA
Just use what Yvonne suggested in a small cooler, temp will maintain
I have a small lunch cooler I may do that, I cant find hot hands anywhere though . Sold out everywhere .. probably because it’s 13 degrees here today where I live

Domm

PA
I got my Greek a small, warm, soft sided carrier that’s meant for transporting hamsters and guinea pigs. I’m taking ours with us on a trip and am planning on using the hot hands or a heating pad underneath the carrier. The soft carrier fits inside a wooden crate with lots of space between the slats for air transfer (ikea purchase) in case of a car accident. I need to test it out and see how many and what type of heat keeps the temperature correct.

That’s a great idea, I wonder if pets smart or pet owner would have something like that and I can set it in a wooden box. Let me know how many warmers you needed... mine in a little guy only 3 inches big .

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have a small lunch cooler I may do that, I cant find hot hands anywhere though . Sold out everywhere .. probably because it’s 13 degrees here today where I live
Just fill the cooler with hot water first and let it sit to warm up the cooler then put a small towel in the dryer. Empty the cooler and add the warm towel and you should be fine for the drive especially once your car warms up. Adding the hot water warms the cooler and its insulation. I use this method with ice the day before I use my coolers for maximum cold effect

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was wondering, when you get to ur destination, what’s the set-up there for your tortoise? Do you have a complete enclosure all set up with lights, heating, substrate, etc?

Good luck.

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That’s a great idea, I wonder if pets smart or pet owner would have something like that and I can set it in a wooden box. Let me know how many warmers you needed... mine in a little guy only 3 inches big .

I put 1 hot hands in the soft sided carrier and the temp was increasing slowly, but was at 97 degrees when I left the house a short bit ago. I’m going to put a towel over it so it’s not so hot.

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I put 1 hot hands in the soft sided carrier and the temp was increasing slowly, but was at 97 degrees when I left the house a short bit ago. I’m going to put a towel over it so it’s not so hot.
Mine is about 5 inches, but he’s 10(ish).

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I have an 8 month old eastern hermanns that I need to drive to my parents so they can watch him when I go on a 4 day trip next week. This was not a problem in the summer but it is so cold here where I live, I mean like 18 degrees F. I’m worried about even transporting him from my house to the car and that the car wont be warm enough on the 40 minute drive. The weather is bone chilling will he be ok , any tips on transporting ? Here is a picture of Rex also does his shell look ok ? I think it’s just growth lines he’s/ she getting so big...

View attachment 313317
I use a soft sided lunch bag I had someone on Etsy make for the purpose. A soft sided cooler would be fine too or even a small canvas tote. I place a heated Snuggle Safe wrapped in a towel on the bottom. Then I place another towel over that. Then I add my tort and cover her with another towel. My soft sided bag doesn't seal tightly at the top. If you use a commercial type cooler, I'd leave it open at the top. My girl does great. She does much better coming with me than being left and having someone else periodically check on her (and it's hard to find someone willing and knowledgeable enough to entrust a tort!). I would definitely NOT leave your tort unattended at home. That's fine for a few hours, but not ok for multiple days. Not only will you be a nervous wreck (and your tort might not do well with the change in routine you provide) but anything can happen--storm, electrical outage, loss of furnace, bulb blowing, etc. Small torts are very easy to transport. I also have a smaller tub to keep mine in when we are visiting elsewhere. I bring her food and her bath tub and some extra towels.

Snuggle Safes are designed for keeping pets warm. They are a re-usable durable pink disc that are now widely used in veterinary medicine--just microwave per the instructions on the disc. They stay warm ~10 hours. They work great for torts as they can be easily wiped off or washed if they get soiled and there are no electrical parts or rough edges, etc. I don't use the fuzzy cover that comes with them. I always travel with two. Make sure you get the actual Snuggle Safe brand--there are knock offs that are not the same.....you want the one shown at this link with the characteristic paw pattern and pink disc:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008AJH9/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I use a soft sided lunch bag I had someone on Etsy make for the purpose. A soft sided cooler would be fine too or even a small canvas tote. I place a heated Snuggle Safe wrapped in a towel on the bottom. Then I place another towel over that. Then I add my tort and cover her with another towel. My soft sided bag doesn't seal tightly at the top. If you use a commercial type cooler, I'd leave it open at the top. My girl does great. She does much better coming with me than being left and having someone else periodically check on her (and it's hard to find someone willing and knowledgeable enough to entrust a tort!). I would definitely NOT leave your tort unattended at home. That's fine for a few hours, but not ok for multiple days. Not only will you be a nervous wreck (and your tort might not do well with the change in routine you provide) but anything can happen--storm, electrical outage, loss of furnace, bulb blowing, etc. Small torts are very easy to transport. I also have a smaller tub to keep mine in when we are visiting elsewhere. I bring her food and her bath tub and some extra towels.

Snuggle Safes are designed for keeping pets warm. They are a re-usable durable pink disc that are now widely used in veterinary medicine--just microwave per the instructions on the disc. They stay warm ~10 hours. They work great for torts as they can be easily wiped off or washed if they get soiled and there are no electrical parts or rough edges, etc. I don't use the fuzzy cover that comes with them. I always travel with two. Make sure you get the actual Snuggle Safe brand--there are knock offs that are not the same.....you want the one shown at this link with the characteristic paw pattern and pink disc:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008AJH9/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Well darn they are like reusable hot hands!